Honored Contributor

Re: Which spoons do you use most? Teaspoon, soup spoon, cream soup spoon?

[ Edited ]

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

I don't own cream soup spoons.  Never heard of them.  My flatware is old--45+ years--and it is true that this set is small.  I have flatware that is new and it is enormous and heavy. Can't  get used to it.

I use teaspoons the most.

@PinkyPetunia Cream soup spoons are spoons about (edited to add about 6" to 7") 7" long with a rounded bowl.  They are great for cereal, soups, beans and things that spill!  

You can get them individually in stainlesss from Amazon and other places.  There are smaller ones, bouillion spoons, and bigger ones, called gumbo spoons.  

Confused enough now?  Woman Very Happy  Anyway we use the middle ones a lot. 

Esteemed Contributor

I use the regular teaspoon for everything.  I don't even own any of the others besides a serving spoon

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

Seeing there are just 2 of us, we do not use a lot of the MANY spoons we have.  I use a teaspoon (the same one) for almost everything.  My husband favors a soup spoon. For me, a smaller spoon makes what I'm eating last longer.  On the other hand, he's a gobbler and prefers fewer bites.

Honored Contributor

Soup spoons 95% of the time; teaspoons are used the least in this household.   

Honored Contributor

I stir my Instant Breakfast and measure my cottage cheese for lunch at work with a teaspoon.

Homemade soups and stews are eaten with a soup spoon.

Respected Contributor

Last year while buying a sweater from Macy's, an offer of six stainless steel sporks for $10 popped up during checkout. Sporks??? Who wants sporks? I bought them.

For the first month I just looked at them in the drawer. Then I used one for hot dogs (no bun) and baked beans. Then potato salad. Then wonton soup. Then many other foods.

Sometimes dumb impulse purchases work out.  

Esteemed Contributor

Funny you should mention this. I ordered an Oneida flatware set for 4 from Macy's a couple of weeks ago. I wanted it specifically for 4 more teaspoons and salad forks for me - I like the smaller size. Hubby likes the size of the soup spoons and dinnerware forks, so it works out well for us. I'm not sure I know what a "cream soup spoon" is....

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Funny you should mention this. I ordered an Oneida flatware set for 4 from Macy's a couple of weeks ago. I wanted it specifically for 4 more teaspoons and salad forks for me - I like the smaller size. Hubby likes the size of the soup spoons and dinnerware forks, so it works out well for us. I'm not sure I know what a "cream soup spoon" is....

@jannabelle1 It is a soup spoon with a very round bowl originally for cream style soups eaten out of a bowl with rounded corners.  So it works great for cream or more liquid soups, cereal,  and such.  

You can get them in three sizes, small bouillion, medium size (6 to 7" handles), and gumb sized which are a little larger bowl still.  

They also make good serving spoons for rice and other dishes or for things like Chinese food in cartons, mashed potatoes, etc. 

Esteemed Contributor

I use teaspoon, soup spoon and iced tea spoon  , depending on what I am eating or drinking

Honored Contributor

I'm a teaspoon fan. I use them for most everything.  I also use a salad fork for eating my meals.  I don't know why, they just work better for me. I would be nice if the little spoons and forks made me eat less....

~ house cat ~