Esteemed Contributor

Re: Which of these 7 things need to go from YOUR cabinets?

All cookies, chips and sweets!  

Respected Contributor

@godi wrote:

All cookies, chips and sweets!  

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1 

Our spouses must be related !

Mine keeps the packets in a clear storage container in the back of the fridge....yet a few have migrated to his car !

I used to toss the plastic wrapped utensils because they kept multiplying like rabbits...but will now keep to take to my local food pantry with the over-abundant packets.

A miracle occurred this weekend.  As we did the final packing for our lengthy stay in FL, he picked up a package of cookies that had been in the pantry closet and said they must have been there for a long time......and tossed them !

P.S.,  He had bought them in March on the way home from FL...his favorite type.  I found more in a creamer plastic container:  it was still filled to the top.  

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have gone through all but my base cabinets this month. I moved 2 1/2 years ago, so lots went at that time.

I tossed just a couple of old condiment pacs- something I usually do not keep. 

I also decided last month to ditch all my stoneware plates. Too heavy and chip easily. Replaced with porcelain and good bone china pieces picked up at thrift.

The mugs I have are small matched sets in different sizes for coffee, lattes, espresso and cappuccino . Looking for 2 more Irish coffee mugs. I could have used them for Christmas to serve my mulled wine. 

I recently picked up the Spice Spinner here to declutter my spice cabinet. Went through spices at the time I installed it. Only a few were duplicates or outdated, so they are gone, As I bake a lot before the holidays I usually take inventory at that time every year.

I don't know why but my sister used to have multiple cabinets full of mismatched, cutesie mugs AND she mostly drank her coffee from the takeout Starbuck's paper cups she bought multiple times a day!

Honored Contributor

which one of these are not like the others?

'toss small appliances you haven't used in 2 years'

that is a lot of money to toss -

where is that mini food chopper - oops - tossed it

I only use it to ground nuts when I bake and a Crusinart Mini is $40 or so

but I agree on the mismatched food containers from take out

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last year, DH started a major decluttering quest in our house and got rid of most of the things on that list.  I will admit that I do have a few chipped dishes and I am sure I have expired spices. We also seem to have a large number of packaged plastic utensils that we get with take out meals.

Honored Contributor

All of them except one.  I have done a lot of packing up and giving to the Goodwill these past few weeks.  The only thing remaining is my "left over" containers and I think I'm getting new storage containers for Christmas.  Somehow there was a delay and daughter informs me my gift should get here soon.  I gave her that for an idea when she asked what I wanted for Christmas.

Esteemed Contributor

@Xivambala  OMG!  Me too!  I have about 140 of them.....every state in the US and many, many other countries all collected by my travels or the travels of a close friend or relative.  Been collecting since age 19.  When we had our larger home, before downsizing, my hubby made me special shelves to display them.   Now that we are in a townhouse, the same thing here, they are all packed in boxes........not sure how we are going to display them here or if we even can.   Just goes to say we've been here for 2 years already and they still live in the basement.

As far as the other things on the list, I don't have ANY of them lurking in my house.

I'm a routine purger so it would get donated or recycled.   And spices, don't even get me going, LOL........You will never find an expired jar in my kitchen.   I had a big "discussion" with my SIL one night when we had dinner there regarding the dates on her spices,

Yuck!   Needless to say we haven't been invited back......just kidding, probably because of Covid.Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Wine glasses. Lots of them. 

Respected Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

I got rid of much of what you listed today. In addition to mugs, I discarded extra forks, spoons, and knives, dishes and bowls from previous dinner and and silverware sets. Finally let those extras loose. I never hold condiment packets! Despite what my coworkers believe 😆 they do go bad. 

@KBEANS , please explain this to my DH!  He agrees with your coworkers!

I toss them when he does not know and I always rotate stock.

I have plenty of extra mugs, as I am a coffee drinker and I also use them for ice cream (to keep myself honest on a serving) Although I never use the mugs that go to my dishes

I am afraid to check dates on my spices !!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it