Regular Contributor

Re: Which Stand Mixer should I Buy?

My kitchen Aid mixer is at least ten years old. I've never even heard of the grease issue, and have no issues or regrets to report.

Honored Contributor

On 12/16/2014 Abby Grace said:

My kitchen Aid mixer is at least ten years old. I've never even heard of the grease issue, and have no issues or regrets to report.

Mine was 50 years old before it started to leak - needless to say - you probably have a long way to go. And , the fix - beside replacing the old and separated grease was to use the mixer often to keep the oil and the grease mixed together. When the mixer isn't used for a long while they separate and that is when the oil leaks out. My DH just said when they fixed mine they probably replaced the 50 year old gaskets too - which would seal it. That repair was 20 years ago and no further issues since then.

Esteemed Contributor

I have 2 Kitchen Aids: the first I purchased in original almond is 34 years old and you'd never know it. I've had absolutely no issues with my old KA or the newer one and simply LOVE the attachments I've purchased!

p.s. My first one was made by Hobart. I still love my second one, too! No issues yet.

p.s.s. I would never purchase a Sunbeam standing mixer. Am well acquainted with their kitchen appliances, of which we had several as wedding gifts, and they all bit the dust eons ago.

Super Contributor

I have had mine for about 3 years. Never had an issue with grease. I use it all the time and love it. I bougt it from Costco online and got a good deal. Previous to that I had the smaller KA mixer for several years. When we outgrew the size I saved it and passed it down to my daughter. Never an issue with either one.
Regular Contributor

I bought my 6 qt. lift KA mixer from Ebay 12 years ago , it replaced my 5 qt.30 yr. old one (gave to my Daughter) she is still using it. Never had any grease leak from either one.

The KA mixers are work horses.

Regular Contributor

Check Ebay's prices-a 6 qt. lift mixer is under $300.00.

These are new mixer with a return policy.

Honored Contributor

Have had the classic model since 1997. Never had a grease problem.

Contributor

Thank you everyone for your advice, experience and recommendations. I'm still researching and now I may get the cobalt blue if I go with KA. Thank you for the advice on the grease problem, it does seem like a simple fix. I feel much better. So far the best price I found is on Amazon and I'm happy to say that my mother stated this will be my Christmas and birthday gift; therefore, I may go with the artisan, but not sure yet. I do know that it only comes with a 1 year warranty, has anyone gotten an extended warranty? If so, where and what was your experience?

Thanks again.

Anna

Honored Contributor

*NOTICE*

Big sale today in Amazon's Gold Box on KitchenAid stand mixers, if that's where you are leaning. Just go to Amazon, then click on 'Today's Deals' (at the top) and, right now anyway (so I don't know how long it will last), it's on the right as the 'Bonus Deal of the Day'. It says 'up to 50% off'.

Occasional Contributor

My daughter is a professional pastry chef at Jean-Georges and uses a kitchen aid at home. The one with the strongest motor.