Honored Contributor

Re: Which Stand Mixer should I Buy?

I've never had an issue with grease. I received a KA mixer for my wedding shower 19 years ago, and it's perfectly fine.

I just bought the recent TSV and it's spectacular. I'm giving my original one to my SIL. She's thrilled.

Anyway, I've never had an issue with grease at all.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/16/2014 brii said:

I've never had an issue with grease. I received a KA mixer for my wedding shower 19 years ago, and it's perfectly fine.

I just bought the recent TSV and it's spectacular. I'm giving my original one to my SIL. She's thrilled.

Anyway, I've never had an issue with grease at all.

Nor have I. My Classic KA is well over 30 years old now. My 6-quart Pro is probably going on four years. Never an issue with grease. I had my mother's old Classic KA, too, which was about 20 years old and no grease problems there either. To be honest, I really didn't know what you were even talking about at first, but that's because there's never been a problem.

When I first got married, my DH gave me a Hamilton Beach stand mixer and it lasted about 3 years, if that. So I'm not a big HB fan, but that's JMO.

Occasional Contributor

Yes, my KA did begin to leak black grease. My previous comments about this issue can be found if you look through my older posts. Although I loved the mixer design and power, I'd be very hesitant about investing in another KA mixer again. I chose not to get mine repaired due to the cost and no guarantee that it wouldn't happen again. I threw it away and bought another brand.

Honored Contributor

On 12/16/2014 Betts said:

Yes, my KA did begin to leak black grease. My previous comments about this issue can be found if you look through my older posts. Although I loved the mixer design and power, I'd be very hesitant about investing in another KA mixer again. I chose not to get mine repaired due to the cost and no guarantee that it wouldn't happen again. I threw it away and bought another brand.

You threw away a lot of money - read my post - it's a simple fix - you just use the mixer.

Honored Contributor

I had my 1st KA - mothers (which I handed down to a friends daughter who is still using it) from 1950s, bought my own in 1981 (which I donated to a church group of young bakers in 2004), purchased another in 2004 -Artisan style which I sold to upgrade in 2011 to Professional 6qt which am still using. Over all these years and mixers I've never oiled, had oil/grease problems or any problem (and believe me I've made brads, wedding cakes, meats, etc) Maybe it's like Temptations but I doubt it highly KA has been around forever & of course I would recommend it!
Honored Contributor

On 12/16/2014 Trix said:

I'm not a kitchen appliance aficiando by any means, but everyone I know who considers themselves to be home cook experts swear by the KitchenAid stand mixer.

Well yes, Kitchen Aid has spent a huge amount of money in advertising and product placement in cooking shows to convince people just that.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

On 12/16/2014 jaxs mom said:
On 12/16/2014 Trix said:

I'm not a kitchen appliance aficiando by any means, but everyone I know who considers themselves to be home cook experts swear by the KitchenAid stand mixer.

Well yes, Kitchen Aid has spent a huge amount of money in advertising and product placement in cooking shows to convince people just that.

And there are millions of people who have had their KA mixers for decades and have had absolutely no trouble with them. That says a lot, too.

Occasional Contributor

Yes, I did. I can assure you that my mixer was often used. My son tried to fix it. It still leaked grease. I then took it to an authorized repair center who gave me a quote of at least $140 to take it apart to investigate the problem. They showed me a lineup of Artisan mixers waiting on repairs for the same problem. blockquote>On 12/16/2014 happy housewife said:
On 12/16/2014 Betts said:

You threw away a lot of money - read my post - it's a simple fix - you just use the mixer.

Frequent Contributor

Mom has a KA mixer that's at least 45-50 years old, and it still works great. I got mine for Christmas in 1991. It lives on the counter and is used 3-4 times a week. We bought them for our DILs, and theirs live on the counter and get as much use.

Never had a minute of trouble with them, and they will mix a double batch of gingerbread cookies. When Grandma passed, Mom got her old KA, and Grandma said that the Sunbeam mixer she had before the KA had burned up mixing gingerbread cookies.

If mine ever broke, I'd only replace it with another KA.

Honored Contributor

It's too bad KA ruined their products by going to a cheaper manufacturer. If I were buying I'd go to Hobart (who made KA when they were so good) or maybe Viking. Sunbeam has always been a good brand, too, but I don't know how integrous they currently are for stand mixers.

Where KA still makes out, though, is that they are still riding on their decades-old reputation from when they were made so well by Hobart. Some time after they changed manufacturers they started replacing some of the metal gears with plastic and that caused some problems. I heard that one some, higher-end, models they went back to metal so that's good.