Honored Contributor

Re: Which Le Creuset Pieces do You Use Most?

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I could no longer handle those big, heavy pots with their contents.  I also don't see where they're necessary for the preparation of good food.

@Kachina624 I don't think anybody said they are necessary.

@Sooner    You'd never know it wasn't from listening to the sales pitch.  If not, what the point?

@Kachina624 You LISTEN to sales pitches????  I am Woman Surprised!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner    Don't tell me you never listened to the presentation?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I have LC knock-offs, but use the braiser most.  I'm doing more "slow cooking" in my oven rather than my slow cooker. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner    Don't tell me you never listened to the presentation?

@Kachina624 Heard, yes.  Listened, NO!  Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

I have a few pieces. I got the hibiscus in a few things before it was discontinued. Smiley Sad

I mostly use one to cook roasts all day. Nothing seems to do the job as well as that. I think it's a 5 quart or so, just the right size for a roast. I use my mom's magnalite for gumbo, and the lc for roasts. Thanks, Sooner, for the cornbread tidbit. I will try that with the grill pan I have. It's a lid for one of the pots I got. :0)

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I have several sizes.  Some substitute for the gadget machines that others pay for.  Used my way, the LCs  sub for slow cookers, fry pans, etc.

Most often use 4.5-qt oval dutch oven, 3-qt. dutch oven and even the 1.5 qt. saucepan.

This might shock the LC fans, but I  occasionally put the bigger ones in the dishwasher to save time, after a soak and rub-out with Dawn liquid.  If the interiors begin to look a little bad, I just add some white vinegar mixed with water, let sit a few minutes, then  rub out any debris  and put in dishwasher. 

Believe me, it works but probably violates the "LC Religion of cookware care".

@novamc1 Thanks for the vinegar tip!  I love that 4.5 size too and you don't see them as often.  Much bigger and I'm getting out the All Clad big pots.

My tip for people who think they are hard to clean is those black coated inside ones--especially the grill pans--is to pour hot water in them the instant the food is taken out and let them sit while you eat.  After some soaking they are easy to clean up!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner    How many cast iron pieces do you have? 

I've got 3 total.   2 dutch and 1 oval lidded baker.   Then have several of the stoneware baking pieces.

Most of mine came from the their factory outlet store or TJMax/Marshall's.   Made it very reasonably priced. 

I clean the inside of my cast iron with a little bit of Bar Keepers Friend and a wet paper towel.  Works great and doesn't leave any marks. 

Super Contributor

I can't use the cast iron dutch oven. It is so heavy and my hands aren't strong anymore. I'm giving it to my daughter.

Honored Contributor

I love my LC so much but now that I hardly cook I'm not really using them.  I kind of wish I could sell some, as I could use the money now, but there is no way I can ship them.   The shipping would be crazy.

I have quite a few, but lately I have one cute little 1qt round in use that has my little wood salt keeper for my kosher salt.  It is a pretty grey sort of shade.  I have another little 1qt round that's the red color that I use for when I heat up one of my split pea soup or turkey chili portions that are vac-sealed and frozen.   They are the exact size for that 1qt and each one feeds me twice.

I pretty much have quite a few sizes from the 1qt all the way up to the 13qt.   That largest one I got years ago on ebay for practically a song and it was (still is) like new.  It's the dune color, which isn't my fav.  Most of mine are the red color and I have some in black.  I wanted to get one in the purple color, but I already have more than I use, so it wasn't practical.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only have one enameled cast iron pot, a 5 quart Staub Dutch oven - from QVC back when they carried them for a very reasonable price ($50 as I recall). I love it and use it a lot.

The thing I like about enameled cast iron is that I can brown food on the cooktop (round steak, stew, baked beans) and then put the piece in the oven. It also keeps food warm while serving.

I would like something a bit smaller, maybe 3-1/2 or 4 quart. I've had my eye on this 4 quart Staub pot. I like the idea of a glass lid. It's on Amazon at a good price right now..