Honored Contributor

Re: Which Is Your Favorite Doughnut⁰ And Brand?

@grandma petes wrote:

We have a local donut shop that makes the most amazing Maple Bars....they don’t use a maple glaze....they make this incredible maple buttercream frosting....it’s like nothing I’ve ever tasted. The donuts are light as clouds....and that frosting....well, eating just one is impossible!!!

@grandma petes   I am a HUGE fan of maple bars too!  There used to be a place called Irish Made (or Maid?) that had the best I ever ate.

Krispy is ok, but we have local Donut Shops run by Asian people that make really really good donuts fresh until about noon and we love those but don't get them too often!

I agree Shipley's is good too--but we don't have them here.  We do have a couple of more local shops that make good ones too! 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm going with Krispy Kreme....sure wish Ihad one around the corner! Yes, they're sweet - but they are so fresh! Dunkin' Donuts are my 2nd choice along with the donuts baked fresh from a local grocery store.

Respected Contributor

IMHO, the best donuts come from the local "mom & pop" type bakeries. With that being said, Tim Horton's makes good donuts. Nutty donuts are my absolute favorite! Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I only eat donuts from a bakery and prefer granulated sugar jelly donuts.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

We used to have a couple of shops called Donut Connection.  These had the best donuts and cinnamon rolls ever!  Also, their coffee was awesome.  Just basic nice coffee.  Most coffee sold at these places is just plain too strong for me.  Any how they both closed.  One turned into Duncan Donuts.  We have so many of those shopa and I don't care for their coffee and to me their donuts are so-so.  I like Krispy Kreme o.k and the best ones there are the glazed when they are still warm!  We have a Horton's and it's decent, but nothing special.  I can't really say that we have any place around here that is top notch.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

I'm not all that fond of doughnuts either.  About the only time I eat one is when I get to the beach in Florida.  There is a mom & pop place not too far from where I stay and every time I go I get one with Key Lime filling.  I'm not even sure why I still go and get one.....habit and tradition I guess.

Same here.  When I have a donut I go for something like key lime from one of our local donut shops.  I will also indulge in a chocolate lemon once in a while. ( The donut isn't chocolate; it has chocolate frosting on it and it is filled with a lemony curd.)

But as I stated earlier, I'm not really a donut fan.  Once in a while I can go for one though.

Esteemed Contributor

Apple fritters are my all-time favorite donut, and there are two local bakeries that make amazing versions, so I stick with them. My runner-up is a fresh sugar donut, which most bakeries and chains can handle pretty well.

For the most part, I have never liked Krispy Kreme donuts—they are too sweet, the standard and chocolate glazes always taste like oil/grease more than anything else, and the apple fritters are icky—but I do enjoy a powdered strawberry or blueberry one about once a year.

Valued Contributor

I liked apple fritters and boston cream donuts. From a donut shop called Boston Donuts in La Habra California. Haven't been there in over 10 years though Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

I'm not a donut fan.   I don't like Krispy or Dunkin at all.  I don't like those glazed donuts and don't like filled donuts.

The only donut style I like is the old fashioned cake donut and I'm picky about them.   The best for me are found at an East Coast convenience store called WaWa.   They are sooooo good.   I'll never have one again since we no longer live there.   

@Bridgegal Awww.....Get them to pack them and mail them to you!!!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Mc donald"s sells these donut sticks, My husband purchased them for me  this morning , they are covered in cinnamon sugar. They put me in mind of a churro. Very, very good. I think they came out with them last week.Will purchase again. I hope they keep them. They are sold only at breakfast time.