Honored Contributor

Which Fats Are Healthy? Dr Becky Gillaspy

[ Edited ]

This video shows what has been found out about fats in recent years.

What IS "safe"?  You'll shop smarter for sure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffR9eR8-i9o

Dr Gillaspy  is doing a high fat low carb weight loss plan, and she says videos are available.  I don't follow those because I don't like my body to think I am diabetic when I am not.

Honored Contributor

Re: Which Fats Are Healthy? Dr Becky Gillaspy

[ Edited ]

@ECBG  another name for high fat/moderate protein/low carb eating is the ketogenic diet or keto.  Th3 goal is to keep insulin low and it’s actually quite healthy for everyone. We have been eating this way for over a year andwe’re loving it.  I initially began in order to lose weight but then learned about all the health benefits.  Keto is not a new fad, it’s been around for something like 100 yrs,, originally recommended or prescribed for children with epilepsy.  Our brains ar made of fat and need healthy fats to thrive.  It’s also good for heart health and cancer prevention, not to mention a very delicious and enjoyable way to eat.  The pounds have melted off.  I’ve reverse insulin resistance,  I have better mental clarity & focus along with increased flexibility & stamina.  I’m healthier than I’ve been most of my adult life. 

Frequent Contributor

The keto works fast if you do it correctly.  Thing is, it's hard, and the weight seems to come right back when you stop the keto diet, unless you make a life change and exercise and eat healthy.

Honored Contributor

@jcash wrote:

The keto works fast if you do it correctly.  Thing is, it's hard, and the weight seems to come right back when you stop the keto diet, unless you make a life change and exercise and eat healthy.

I have to beg to differ with you.  Keto is much more than a weight loss plan, it’s a lifestyle.  I find it easy to do. Yes, the weight will pile on again if one returns to their old way of eating.  But isn’t that old way of eating the thing that caused their weight issue and other health problems in the first place?  Admittedly, the first week or two on keto can be a struggle as the body is detoxing from sugar and shifts to using a new fuel source.  After that, itsmindset and making the right choices to be successful, just like anything else in life that’s worth the effort.  

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting video.

I don't avoid fat, but I do avoid cheap or heavily processed fats.  Give me an avocado or a nut or an egg, and I I am happy lady.

Our processed foods are full of soy, canola and palm oil.  Try finding mayo without one of those.

I think the more processed it is the more is lost.  

Julia Child once told us to just have a little butter.  Wise woman.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Still Raining wrote:

Interesting video.

I don't avoid fat, but I do avoid cheap or heavily processed fats.  Give me an avocado or a nut or an egg, and I I am happy lady.

Our processed foods are full of soy, canola and palm oil.  Try finding mayo without one of those.

I think the more processed it is the more is lost.  

Julia Child once told us to just have a little butter.  Wise woman.

So true on the mayo.  There are avocado mayos out there, but I don’t like the taste.  I don’t use much mayo.  When I do, I use Dukes. The oil isn’t great but at least it doesn’t contain sugar. 

Processed foods are terrible and have contributed in a major way to obesity and poor health in general.  There’s so many chemicals and unhealthy ingredients, very little actual nutrition in them.  We’ve eliminated them except for sugar free condiments.

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

First let me congratulate you for your weight loss.  Very impressive.

I have seen on your keto OP that you avoid sugar and food that can not be pronounced.  I so agree.  Much more than salt or fat, sugar is poured all over.  That is the one thing I will not in my house or buy if it added.

Nice to see we can agree on some things.  Many paths to health.

Trusted Contributor

@Still Raining Try Primal Kitchen mayo. It's made with avocado oil, and I think it tastes great.  It's all I've been using for years.  A little pricey, but often goes on sale at Sprouts, Whole Foods or Vitacost.

Honored Contributor

@soonersis wrote:

@Still Raining Try Primal Kitchen mayo. It's made with avocado oil, and I think it tastes great.  It's all I've been using for years.  A little pricey, but often goes on sale at Sprouts, Whole Foods or Vitacost.

@soonersis Have you ever tried Sir Kensington's?  That's the one I tried and threw out.  I'd be williing to try the Primal Kitchen (I thiink Chosen Foods is that same company) if I knew for sure that it didn't taste like SK.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The other day i found popcorn made with Avocado oil. My sisters love avocado so I bought it and they like it. It´s very white though.