Honored Contributor

Re: Which Cantaloupe Do You Prefer?

I like both types.

Occasionally, I serve them with JELLO in the center.   I just allow the JELLO to harden in the center when the seeds are removed.

I slice them in thin slivers ...they look amazing and taste great too.

Respected Contributor

Either one. Half a cantaloupe with a scoop of ice cream in the center always makes my heart smile. My grandma would take me to the luncheon counter in McCrory's in downtown Brooklyn for it.

Honored Contributor

I never noticed some had sectional lines and some didn't. I don't really eat melon as it makes it itchy. But now I know. I do prefer Crenshaw melon over cantaloupe and honeydew.

Watermelon is my favorite melon.

Valued Contributor

I had my first Western cantaloupe just today with dinner.  When I purchased it, I didn't know there was a difference.  In fact, I hesitated because I had never seen that type of netting before in our local markets, only the eastern variety, and I didn't know if it would be any good.  Anyway, it was sweet and delicious, especially when I wrapped it in a slice of prosciutto.   I would not hesitate to buy it again.  Now I know!

@chiclets, McCrory's!!  I had a part-time job there in my senior year of high school (1971-- St. Joseph's, just three blocks away from the store).  McCrory's was known for hiring "school girls" to work part-time hours during the school year and summers in between.  When one of my classmates told me this and that she got a job there just the previous day, I immediately went to the store after school and got a job on the spot!  When I got home and told my mother, she was thoroughly shocked and delighted that I had done this on my own initiative, and I was only 16.  I remember the deli in the back of the store, and the deli man, Frank, made the best chicken salad sandwiches.  I would have one for lunch every Saturday that I worked.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG

DH stopped at the farmers market today to get the "Cranshaw" melon for me.  The owner told him that it was a " Canary " melon.   Never heard of it:  outside was yellow and the inside was a pale white with faint tinge of yellow.

HTH rather than confuses the issue !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@ECBG

DH stopped at the farmers market today to get the "Cranshaw" melon for me.  The owner told him that it was a " Canary " melon.   Never heard of it:  outside was yellow and the inside was a pale white with faint tinge of yellow.

HTH rather than confuses the issue !

@jlkzI'd love to know what that one tastes like.Smiley Happy