Respected Contributor

Re: Which BBQ Sauce is Your Favorite?

Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and Brown Sugar.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I can't see buying BBQ Sauce when it's so easy to make yourself.

And I'm the opposite

Why make it when it's so easy to buy?

Honored Contributor

I see most of you like much sweeter sauce than I do!  Is it because I am so sweet already?  LOL!!!!  NO?  NO!  

I know regional differences really make a difference, and I guess Oklahoma and Texas are more geared toward brisket than pork, so that probably makes a difference too.  When lots of people here say "bbq" they are thinking of sliced brisket with a good smoke ring.

Honored Contributor

We also love Head Country. We will also use Sweet Baby Rays. That's all we will use.

At least if we move we have a Copycat recipe for Head Country. Tastes just like it IMO. I cannot tell a difference. I think it makes a gallon so I would have to cut the recipe down.

I have to take a case of Head Country when we go to Fl. Everyone wants it but they don't sell it there. I need to ship some to my sister since she's out.

Respected Contributor

Would any of you who make their own BBQ sauce be kind enough to share the recipes?  I alternate between Sweet Baby Ray's and Stcky Fingers.

Many commercial brands are a bit too sweet for me.  I'd also love to try the white sauce!

Denise
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

We also love Head Country. We will also use Sweet Baby Rays. That's all we will use.

At least if we move we have a Copycat recipe for Head Country. Tastes just like it IMO. I cannot tell a difference. I think it makes a gallon so I would have to cut the recipe down.

I have to take a case of Head Country when we go to Fl. Everyone wants it but they don't sell it there. I need to ship some to my sister since she's out.

@Nightowlz  I'll bet you could order it from WalMart and get it shipped to a store there or maybe they would ship it cheaper than you could pack and ship it!  I'm glad to hear you like it.  It is sort of like sauce used to be to me before it became so super sweet.  I'm really hooked on it!

AND it makes a very good chicken pizza!  Upper Crust in OKC has a bbq chicken pizza with chunks of white chicken on it and cheese and then they drizzle a thin stream of what tastes exactly like Head Country in circles on the pizza, from outside to middle.  It's topped with cilantro if you like  that.  It's a great pizza.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@denisemb   Over in the December 2018 Recipes thread post 32 from @walker listed a barbecued chicken recipe.

The ingredients for that sound like a good basic BBQ sauce.

Valued Contributor

I usually make my own. I don't like the bottled ones as it's usually to sweet I prefer more vinegar in mine.  

Esteemed Contributor

Oklahoma Joe's is good, too (Said the Kansas City lady). I also like SLAPS out of KC, Kansas.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Many of the favorite sauces mentioned must be regional.  I have never heard of them.