Trusted Contributor

Re: Which BBQ Sauce is Your Favorite?

Thanks @Sooner. I'll give it a try next time the weather permits.  It really does go zero to 750  in very little time! I'm amazed at how well it works.  I've checked out the egg web site and there are lots of suggestions and loads of recipies but i like to go with sites i'm more familliar with until I get used to "the players" on the site. 

Honored Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

Thanks @Sooner. I'll give it a try next time the weather permits.  It really does go zero to 750  in very little time! I'm amazed at how well it works.  I've checked out the egg web site and there are lots of suggestions and loads of recipies but i like to go with sites i'm more familliar with until I get used to "the players" on the site. 

@Jtdmum  We used to be bbq'ers with a "stick burner" and the eggers were from the dark side to that crowd!  LOL!!!  We have been very happay with the egg.  We've got a medium size, and we can do good steaks (filets or strip, good but small steaks) for four.  Anyone that wants well done--theirs goes on the gas grill!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I have tried so many. Sweet Baby Ray's- honey is #1.

Trusted Contributor

@software wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

I like Alabama white sauce and Memphis style. I don’t like smoked flavor because it overpowers the taste. 

I make my own sauces but would love to find a ready made one. 

It took me years to work up the nerve to try the white sauce, it just didn't look good.

But it is excellent!

I don't use much BBQ sauce.   I don't like my meat covered in sauce.   I use other ways to impart flavor - either with marinade or injection or light smoking or a good rub.  We can pretty  much grill out all year.

I do use Kraft Sweet & Spicy sauce as an ingredient.   It has just the right zing.  I may go through 2 bottles a year

But for a true BBQ sauce, I prefer the thin, vinegary sauce with a little heat.

There are 2 BBQ places locally using that type of sauce, Costa's and Archibald & Woodrow.    Costa's sells theirs at retail.

@Sooner

I like the Kraft sauces, too.

I have been using their Slow Honey barbecue sauce. 

I think that I discovered it some time last year, and I have been using it since. My husband and I both liked honey barbecue sauces, and when I saw this one in the store, I picked it up and wanted to try it. 

We both think that it's really good.

It's a thicker sauce, so if you want to cook with it and put it on your food, I think that it doesn't get too thin where it it will cook off right away, in my opinion.

I think that it also has a great taste. It's on the sweeter side, but I don't think that it's too sweet.

I like sauces that are sweet as opposed to too spicy. That's just a personal preference of mine. Smiley Happy

We've also used Sweet Baby Ray's too, and I also think that that is a really great sauce. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz,  I know nothing about the Head Country brand but did a search on Amazon using the phrase Head Country Original BBQ Sauce and there were several offerings.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Nightowlz,  I know nothing about the Head Country brand but did a search on Amazon using the phrase Head Country Original BBQ Sauce and there were several offerings.

@Marp

Thank you. I just checked & the prices are outrageous. 2 sellers sell the 40 oz. bottle size for around $28. LOL!!! It's not quite $5 at Wal-Mart.

Head Country uses plastic bottles now instead of glass so it will be easier for me to ship. I will pick some up after the Holidays to ship.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Marp

Thank you. I just checked & the prices are outrageous. 2 sellers sell the 40 oz. bottle size for around $28. LOL!!! It's not quite $5 at Wal-Mart.

Head Country uses plastic bottles now instead of glass so it will be easier for me to ship. I will pick some up after the Holidays to ship.

@Nightowlz, there is also a listing by Head County, Inc. for six 20 ounces bottles for $19.98+9.53 shipping which makes the price lower than Wal-Mart if you can handle the quantity.

At the Head Country website (headcountry.com) the price is $3.70 per 20 ounce bottle, plus shipping which you can't calculate until you are in the ordering process.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I love the CJ Korean Original BBQ Sauce. It's really good on chicken or salmon fillets on the grill.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Not just because it is made in Oklahoma, Head Country Original is by far my favorite!  

I like it because it isn't as sweet, not as thick and sticky, and has just the right amount of "zip" to it for us.  

I am not a fan of so many sauces that are really sweet and syrup-like.  I don't care for a lot of artificial smoke either. 

So what do you like best?  I'm already anticipating bbq weather!  LOL!!

Years ago I tried a free sample packet of Head Country bbq sauce and I was hooked. I live in Michigan and no one carries it here. I buy it off of Amazon. I won't use any other bbq sauces! Head Country is the BEST!!

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz

Would you be willing to share your Head Country Copycat recipe?