Honored Contributor

Re: Which BBQ Sauce is Your Favorite?

We use Sweet Baby Rays and add just a touch of burbon and honey.

Trusted Contributor

I also like Smithfields barbeque sauce. They have 2 different types. One is more of a vinegar base, the other more of a sweet sauce.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

We also love Head Country. We will also use Sweet Baby Rays. That's all we will use.

At least if we move we have a Copycat recipe for Head Country. Tastes just like it IMO. I cannot tell a difference. I think it makes a gallon so I would have to cut the recipe down.

I have to take a case of Head Country when we go to Fl. Everyone wants it but they don't sell it there. I need to ship some to my sister since she's out.

@Nightowlz  I'll bet you could order it from WalMart and get it shipped to a store there or maybe they would ship it cheaper than you could pack and ship it!  I'm glad to hear you like it.  It is sort of like sauce used to be to me before it became so super sweet.  I'm really hooked on it!

AND it makes a very good chicken pizza!  Upper Crust in OKC has a bbq chicken pizza with chunks of white chicken on it and cheese and then they drizzle a thin stream of what tastes exactly like Head Country in circles on the pizza, from outside to middle.  It's topped with cilantro if you like  that.  It's a great pizza.   

@Sooner

I'm glad I have the recipe in case we move we will have to make our own.

I checked online at Wal-Mart since it's available. I can ship it to the store where I live or ship to my address but it won't let me ship to Fl. I don't know why they would not ship it even if I had to pay shipping. Does not make sense.

Chicken Pizza sounds good. Last couple of times I ate pizza they sprinkled oregano all over it. My stomach likes a little oregano but it had a lot on it. I was belching all night. 

I will have to try chicken pizza. I have every thing I need to make it with.

Honored Contributor

One fav of mine over quite a few years is 'Aussom Aussie'.  They are one of the companies that is here every year for the Rib Cook-Off.   Love their ribs, too.   But since my esophagus is getting so bad I really can't eat ribs much.  I do always have some bottles of their bbq sauce on hand, though!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

I like Alabama white sauce and Memphis style. I don’t like smoked flavor because it overpowers the taste. 

I make my own sauces but would love to find a ready made one. 

It took me years to work up the nerve to try the white sauce, it just didn't look good.

But it is excellent!

I don't use much BBQ sauce.   I don't like my meat covered in sauce.   I use other ways to impart flavor - either with marinade or injection or light smoking or a good rub.  We can pretty  much grill out all year.

I do use Kraft Sweet & Spicy sauce as an ingredient.   It has just the right zing.  I may go through 2 bottles a year

But for a true BBQ sauce, I prefer the thin, vinegary sauce with a little heat.

There are 2 BBQ places locally using that type of sauce, Costa's and Archibald & Woodrow.    Costa's sells theirs at retail.

@Sooner

@software:  We just had Archibald's wings, ribs and brisket last night.  Awesome!!  Little hole in the wall restaurant but awesome food.

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

Sweet Baby Ray's

Oh yes, hickory and brown sugar.

Trusted Contributor

Had to laugh when I read this!  It's starting to snow and sleet here now--It's just the beginning of winter.  I had the grill out yesterday and the heat off in the house!  I give up! Sauce:  Love to make my own.  The store bought stuff is really just flavored corn syrup so I cook down tomatoes with worcestershire, tabasco, brown sugar and molasses, s&p.  Leave it in the fridge in a glass jar and it lasts all season.  

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner. Not trying to hijack your thread...but..need to know what you cook on your egg??? I bought one in August and had a chance to use it a few times before the weather turned.  I did a pulled pork and some ribs (instructions said to keep the temp low while the seal cured) and I really want to get into using this thing in the spring? 

Would love some suggestions??

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I can't see buying BBQ Sauce when it's so easy to make yourself.

We do make bbq sauce, Paul Kirk's Master bbq sauce out of his book on sauces and rubs.  We even make the ketchup for it.  If you love to make sauce and rubs, this book is great!   I think he is the king of sauces and rubs.

We do make that, but keep a big bottle of Head Country in the fridge and we love it too.  

We have gone from an Oklahoma Joe stickburner pit to a Weber Smoky Mountain bullit smoker, to a BIg Green Egg and when we retired and got lazy, to an electric smoker, which we love.  We have them all over the patio!  Well, we got rid of the Joe.  In Oklahoma with the crazy wind it is so hard to keep the fire just right!

Glad there are bbq lovers here!  

@Sooner. Not trying to hijack your thread...but..need to know what you cook on your egg??? I bought one in August and had a chance to use it a few times before the weather turned.  I did a pulled pork and some ribs (instructions said to keep the temp low while the seal cured) and I really want to get into using this thing in the spring? 

Honored Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I can't see buying BBQ Sauce when it's so easy to make yourself.

We do make bbq sauce, Paul Kirk's Master bbq sauce out of his book on sauces and rubs.  We even make the ketchup for it.  If you love to make sauce and rubs, this book is great!   I think he is the king of sauces and rubs.

We do make that, but keep a big bottle of Head Country in the fridge and we love it too.  

We have gone from an Oklahoma Joe stickburner pit to a Weber Smoky Mountain bullit smoker, to a BIg Green Egg and when we retired and got lazy, to an electric smoker, which we love.  We have them all over the patio!  Well, we got rid of the Joe.  In Oklahoma with the crazy wind it is so hard to keep the fire just right!

Glad there are bbq lovers here!  

@Jtdmum  STEAKS STEAKS STEAKS!  Fire that thing up to 650  to 700 degrees or so with lump charcoal,  put steak on for 90 seconds lid closed, flip over.  The shut down the vents and let it rest for 90 seonds to two minutes-depending on how rare you like it.  PERFECT steak.  That has worked for us.

Lots of information is son the web, but we're fond of steaks.  We haven't done pizza, we do that really well in the oven, but burgers and such.  We don't smoke on it as much since I bought an electric Cook Shake and that smokes really good meat!  Believe it or not!  And you just turn it on and throw the wood chips in.  We just let it cook all day for pork butt.

I digress, we do  love our egg!  But mostly grilling.