Honored Contributor

Which BBQ Sauce is Your Favorite?

Not just because it is made in Oklahoma, Head Country Original is by far my favorite!  

I like it because it isn't as sweet, not as thick and sticky, and has just the right amount of "zip" to it for us.  

I am not a fan of so many sauces that are really sweet and syrup-like.  I don't care for a lot of artificial smoke either. 

So what do you like best?  I'm already anticipating bbq weather!  LOL!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Which BBQ Sauce is Your Favorite?

[ Edited ]

I have Annie's BBQue sauce in the cupboard if I don't make it.  I rarely use BBQue sauce.  I also keep Trader Joe's organic Siracha BBQ sauce on hand.

Honored Contributor

I like Alabama white sauce and Memphis style. I don’t like smoked flavor because it overpowers the taste. 

I make my own sauces but would love to find a ready made one. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sweet Baby Ray's

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I like Alabama white sauce and Memphis style. I don’t like smoked flavor because it overpowers the taste. 

I make my own sauces but would love to find a ready made one. 

It took me years to work up the nerve to try the white sauce, it just didn't look good.

But it is excellent!

I don't use much BBQ sauce.   I don't like my meat covered in sauce.   I use other ways to impart flavor - either with marinade or injection or light smoking or a good rub.  We can pretty  much grill out all year.

I do use Kraft Sweet & Spicy sauce as an ingredient.   It has just the right zing.  I may go through 2 bottles a year

But for a true BBQ sauce, I prefer the thin, vinegary sauce with a little heat.

There are 2 BBQ places locally using that type of sauce, Costa's and Archibald & Woodrow.    Costa's sells theirs at retail.

@Sooner

Honored Contributor

I can't see buying BBQ Sauce when it's so easy to make yourself.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I can't see buying BBQ Sauce when it's so easy to make yourself.

We do make bbq sauce, Paul Kirk's Master bbq sauce out of his book on sauces and rubs.  We even make the ketchup for it.  If you love to make sauce and rubs, this book is great!   I think he is the king of sauces and rubs.

We do make that, but keep a big bottle of Head Country in the fridge and we love it too.  

We have gone from an Oklahoma Joe stickburner pit to a Weber Smoky Mountain bullit smoker, to a BIg Green Egg and when we retired and got lazy, to an electric smoker, which we love.  We have them all over the patio!  Well, we got rid of the Joe.  In Oklahoma with the crazy wind it is so hard to keep the fire just right!

Glad there are bbq lovers here!  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I prefer to make my own, but I'll buy Sweet Baby Ray's in a pinch.  It's the best prepared BBQ that I have tasted so far.

Valued Contributor

sweet baby rays is the best I’ve ever had!!!! Love it!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Mary Bailey  me too.