Valued Contributor

Re: Where to find a good wok, reasonably priced.

Just a few questions...round or flat bottom better in your opinion? Size 12", 14" ?? wood handles or steel?? coated or uncoated? TIA

Super Contributor

On 1/10/2014 Rosehill said:
On 1/10/2014 Jules5280 said:

Cost Plus World Market has an assortment of carbon steel woks at very affordable prices. I have an old steel wok that I got years ago at an Asian store, but I wanted a smaller one, so purchased an 8" from World Market over the holidays for $7.99. They had larger sizes, it's very well made.

Jules, how do you care for your carbon steel wok? I always thought they would rust if washed. I would love to have a wok.

Rosehill, like Daisy mentioned above, if you just use water and a bamboo brush your wok will wash up fine. Just don't use soap. I had the most difficult time grasping that concept when I first started using a wok years ago. My ex-MIL got me into Asian cooking because she was taking classes. Once your wok is properly seasoned, just cleaning it with water and a quick scrub with the bamboo brush to remove any food debris is all you need. Dry thoroughly and it won't rust on you. When I have washed mine I just put a dab of sesame or veg oil on a paper towel and give it a quick wipe to polish the inside, then wipe off any extra oil, and it's good to go for the next time I use it.

ETA: They really are a great cooking tool and low maintenance. You can cook almost anything in a wok that you would cook in a skillet or saucepan.

Super Contributor

Thank you, Jules & Daisy. Will be looking for one.

Super Contributor

Another vote for carbon steel. Mine has a wooden handle and I have had it for 27 years. Agree that a bamboo brush and water is all you need, but do make sure you dry it thoroughly and then wipe with a little oil. In this case, cheaper is better for a wok!