Esteemed Contributor

Re: Where's David this week?

I really enjoyed Jill today, too......

Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2015 Perkup said:

I often flip to see who is hosting, and today I was thrilled to see that it's Jill. What a treat for me to be able to watch a kitchen show hosted by someone who knows she's an adult.

Thanks for the special treat today, QVC. I really enjoyed the show. Jill with Laura Weathers is always a treat, and Jill with the other vendors is equally "enjoyable".

Let's do it again soon, PLEASE!!!

Really enjoy Jill as a host and particularly on cooking shows. Nice change of pace today. However, don't worry about David being on a vacation as he will have a 4 hour show tonight closing out the cooking event. I hope David can omit the "happy dances." I've enjoyed the shows and watched most of the day. No purchases though.

Super Contributor

On 1/25/2015 Reever said:
On 1/25/2015 scottdvc said: Thank you Q for not having David on! Send him on another vacation!-----extended
I like David but the man gets a ridiculous amount of vacation time. I think he must get at least 5 weeks. These hosts only work around 20 hours per week as it is. Seems like a very cushy job while the poor customer service representatives probably work 40'hrs and only get 2 weeks.

Hmm. I get five weeks a year, plus five days between Christmas and New Year, and it doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Really can't think of a job I've had (joined the workforce in 1982) where I didn't get at least four weeks paid vacation. And I'm just an ordinary worker -- David is among the elite veterans in his particular line of work and probably has a negotiated contract rather than working under standard employment terms; I wouldn't blame anyone for negotiating more time off for R&R or to pursue other interests.

And while the hosts may only be on air 10-20 hours a week, you can bet they are putting in many more hours in meetings, preparation/study, personal appearances, travel, etc. -- I think these are great jobs for the right person but they are hardly easy or stress-free.

Esteemed Contributor

Last week he told us there would be 2 ITKWD shows, but Jill would host the first one. I think it's silly to call it "In the Kitchen with David" when they know in advance David won't be there. This happens on other shows that have host's names in the titles.
Esteemed Contributor

I like different hosts! refreshing!!

Cinder63 where do you get 5 weeks of paid vacation? and 5 days between Christmas and New Years?

sounds great! I would love it

I've been working for 40 years, never happened where I worked.

Granted a person can build up to that over a number of years and by not actually taking the time off, so building up vacation time..... but not granted 5 weeks plus right off the bat. Typically after a year of employment, 2 weeks of vacation given (sometimes only 1 week) and it can be taken, only if it fits into "business needs" In fact one place my son worked had paid holidays taken away from every one.

Super Contributor

Mary,

My three major employers have been a Fortune 500 company, a newspaper (also owned by an F500 parent) and a university. It's only at the latter that I also get the week between Christmas and New Year but that is not uncommon in this area (automaker-heavy). I think t he first company one started at 3 weeks and worked up to five. Been very fortunate to have progressive employers.

I realize not everyone gets such great perks but let's face it, if anyone is going to get them, people like the QVC hosts with their popularity, clout and somewhat "glamour" jobs are going to be receiving among the best benefits. It's weird to me that any viewer would find that surprising.

I do love getting the week between C and New Years. Actually the days are moveable at the employee request but basically you get C as a holiday and the other four days as "flexible holidays" that can be taken, for example, before Christmas or any time in December. But having that week off to relax after the bustle is an amazing perk and I do look forward to it (and am grateful for it) every year.

Honored Contributor

Keep your eyes on your pension. Husband was told he would get 400 a month pension . Now, that's been"recalculated" to 165 a month.

Respected Contributor

165 a month ?? What area of the country can you afford to retire on that? These corporations should be investigated. How can you promise someone 400 a month and when they reach the finish line you hand them 165 ? Sounds criminal. Have you contacted your state attorney general?
Honored Contributor

yes, when husband turned 65 last oct. they (Sears/Kmart) sent him letter saying to expect 400 if he took the whole benefit for himself he figured to take the most upfront and it would die when he did. Then, after, we applied for it they told him that 400 is now 200 just for him and would be 165 if when he dies I would get it. So, for that little difference he wrote me in as getting it and will die with me.

They didn't want to pay out. Kept coming back with "need more paperwork" . We would send everything they needed by certified mail, email attachments. As of Jan. we were still waiting . I contacted the State's Attorney General's office and they turned it over to the U. S. Dept of Labor in Washington, D.C. I got a call from them explained how we were still waiting. She said "Let me check into it". She did and within a week they seemed to have had a change of heart she not only got the checks to start in Feb. but got us retroactive payments dating back to Nov. So, we got 165 times times 4. One time payout. Then, the monthly checks will be the 165 a month.

I think they're raiding the pensions to pay for infrastructure problems facing all the States. Best I could make of it. I thought they were just hitting union peoples pensions, but, my husband wasn't union, but, nothing ,you can do about it regardless. Why I told that lady to keep her eye on what will be promised her and then what she will REALLY get. He's not retired yet. Can't afford to, he's going to sign up and defer SS this Oct. when he's 66, but, I will be able to get on his SS. That little 165 , if he should pass, will pay for groceries I guess. Just wanted to share my story with the young.

Frequent Contributor

300,000K + book $$$$. I'd take 6 months off. David's on "assignment"