Respected Contributor

Re: Where is the canned pumpkin?

[ Edited ]

Canned pumpkin is made from surplus from the previous year's crop. Last year the crop had a very small surplus, so there was less raw material to produce this year's canned pumpkin. And I suspect the grocery stores are holding back stock so they can have full shelves closer to Thanksgiving. My cousin and I had this conversation three weeks ago so I googled it. And it’s made primarily from butternut and other squashes! That was a surprise.

Honored Contributor

IGA was down to the last 4 cans of their store brand pumpkin which was priced 4 for $5.   They had full stock of Libby's brand pumpkin purée, and pumpkin pie mix.   

Honored Contributor

I can't find any here so I've resorted to buying canned sweet potato puree, pure stuff nothing else, from amazon. Bought a case of twelve 15-oz cans for $24.

Trusted Contributor

Thankfully, we grew butternut squash in our garden this summer. So far, I have 9 nice butternuts curing in the basement, with about 10 more up in the garden. I'm going to roast and puree a small butternut to make squash crescent rolls tomorrow. Butternut squash tastes much like pumpkin, so I'll even use it in my pies for Thanksgiving. I've used it before and they were good. And people couldn't tell the difference.

Contributor

We've had trouble finding it too.  We buy pumpkin regularly to supplement our dog's food, and had a heck of a time finding it lately.  We have had some luck with the Great Valu brand at Wal mart.  No idea how it tastes, but the dog likes it!

Respected Contributor

@Brilliana   First off--welcome to the boards.  Second, I have used the Walmart Great Value brand of pure pumpkin puree in my pumpkin bread and it was fine.

I was doing a Walmart order online last night and they were out of it for home delivery.  It is one item on my list to check up on each time I do an online order because I've learned from this pandemic that things become scarce or unavailable in the blink of an eye and are slow to reappear, so I try to stay a little ahead.

Again, nice to meet you.  Hope to see you here and maybe you'll consider participating in the monthly recipe game.  New contributors are always a happy addition there!

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

For those still looking for canned pumpkin.

Our Publix today had a endcap of a "organic" brand @ $1.99/can.

Seemed like they had quite a lot but no Libby's & none in WM.

Someone here suggested grocers holding it back until baking season.  Today, was the first day I saw pumpkin desserts in the bakery sections.

Our superWM is having another remodel I noticed baking aisle is now down center aisle.  There was a big "empty" shelf, I assume it's going to soon be filled with pumpkin🎃🙂

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 : I live in Georgia and last week found the Libby's pumpkin purée in my WM for $2.08 - which was a surprise because the shelf price listed $3.14and grabbed 4 cans. They had a lot of the pumpkin and it was located in a center aisle of baking supplies. Also found the brand name cranberry sauce for $1.42 only three cans and I got 2, we normally use 2 cans at Thanksgiving and 2 cans for Christmas. I have a good supply of cranberries in the freezer for a special salad that I make. Still can't find any brand of the wipes like Lysol or WM brand. Still limited supply of toilet paper and paper towels.

Trusted Contributor

I was thinking of this thread today and people having problems finding canned pumpkin for cooking, baking, and for feeding to their pets.

My husband was doing some shopping in one of our local Aldi's stores today, and I asked him to pick up a few of their cans of canned pumpkin if they had any.

He got a couple of cans for me and they were 89 cents a can for a regular 15 ounce can. That's their regular price.

This is what I normally use to bake with, and I haven't had any problems with using it before. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I: Where is the canned pumpkin?

I order from Amazon Libby's 100% pure Pumpkin 15oz can pack of 6 for 20.38.