Esteemed Contributor

Re: Where is the canned pumpkin?

If you're looking to sub fresh pumpkin, make sure they say "pie" pumpkins. 

They are smaller and not stringy like a jack o' lantern pumpkin.

Honored Contributor

my mother in law used to mess with whole pumpkins.

Mess.

I hate peeling sweet potatoes,  I do, though, because canned sweet potatoes are all mushy and stringy.  Break down and peel those hard things and make using a Paula Deen recipe.

Respected Contributor

After several fall seasons not being able to get it timely, I stock up before and after Thanksgiving.  Last year I lucked out and got several cans at Target for .50 each after Thanksgiving.  I also got a few cans of pumpkin pie mix, which I have not used in the past.  I’ll try it for a pie.    

I also make chocolate pumpkin muffins, 15 ounce can of pumpkin and either a box of chocolate or spice cake mix.  No other ingredients.  No oil, eggs or water.  They come out moist and delicious!   A good fall treat, and not the calories of regular cake or muffins.  An old weight watchers recipe.  Try it!

Honored Contributor

i was grocery shopping today. they were already doing their holiday displays of baking items in the middle of the grocery store.......flour, graham cracker crumbs, pie crusts, sugar, etc......saw a stack of pumpkin cans also. but did not notice the price.

saw libbys pumpkin on amazon....3 pack of 15 ounce cans for $18, 12 pack of 29 ounce cans for $120.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Just found a can of pumpkin in the pantry. Ingredients list says Smiley Tongueumpkin. Grocery visit today and checking the cans of pumpkin for ingredients.

Respected Contributor

I live in Central Illinois.  Have been through the pumpkin fields.  Have traveled to Morton, Illinois, home of the Libby pumpkin canning factory.  Have watched the pumpkins being unloaded off the huge trucks.  

The canning pumpkins do not look bright orange like Jack o lantern pumpkins.  They are very thick fleshed and a bit pinkish orange.  

All pumpkins are squash, but not all squash are pumpkins.  I know the Libby brand is pumpkin.  Have seen it with my own eyes.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

https://www.hppr.org/post/canned-pumpkins-aren-t-grown-their-looks

Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

I live in Central Illinois.  Have been through the pumpkin fields.  Have traveled to Morton, Illinois, home of the Libby pumpkin canning factory.  Have watched the pumpkins being unloaded off the huge trucks.  

The canning pumpkins do not look bright orange like Jack o lantern pumpkins.  They are very thick fleshed and a bit pinkish orange.  

All pumpkins are squash, but not all squash are pumpkins.  I know the Libby brand is pumpkin.  Have seen it with my own eyes.  

Libby's admits that their pumpkins are not actual pumpkins.  They use a squash that that grow themselves.  It is called Dickinson squash.  It has been this way for years.

Respected Contributor

Looks like a pumpkin to me.🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️FB3F4B37-DD21-488D-BC49-1FA59D11139A.png

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I posted on another thread about shortages that pumpkin is gone. I freeze it in ice cube trays, put the cubes in plastic bags and give it daily to a kitty who needs it for digestion. About a month ago I bought the last two cans on the shelves. When I call grocery stores to check availability, I have to explain that pumpkin pie mix and plain or pumpkin puree are different.  The availability on Amazon has dwindled while prices have skyrocketed.