Respected Contributor

Re: Where is the canned pumpkin?

I got Libbys canned pumpking (15 oz) about a week ago.  Only 1 can because it was my frist time making something.  Not many on the shelves.  I think maybe 3-4.  Did have store brand (Kroger) in larger cans.

Honored Contributor

I got some organic pumpkin from Whole Foods. I give my cat a spoonful of pumpkin every day----don't cook with it much but usually like to have a couple cans in my pantry. spices and herbs are another scarce thing---I used to buy in bulk from the grocery store but all that stopped--but i do find what I use the most, at AMZ in large sizes for decent prices, depending on the kind you want. I spend what a tiny little jar costs for a few ounces. 

Honored Contributor

I thought pumpkin gave amimals diarrhea.

Honored Contributor

I picked up 5 cans this summer when I saw it at Wal-Mart. I wondered if we would have problems getting it this fall.

I have already bought all the baking supplies I will need for this winter baking season.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

@SharkE 

It's good for constipation & diarrhea in dogs & cats. Good for upset tummy & to keep them regular. LOL!!!

Puree some pumpkin without sugar or spices.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

My vet recommended pumpkin to harden my dogs stools.    I give to my ferret to prevent hairballs.

Valued Contributor

@Infinite Mom 47 wrote:

@SharkE @I do the same thing with vanilla and rum extract.  

I bought vanilla beans a few years ago when they were cheap.  I made several bottles of homemade vanilla extract, most with vodka and one with bourbon.  I can keep adding the liquor as I use it and make more.  I gave a couple of bottles away as housewarming gifts but I am set for vanilla.I think I will make some run extract also.  I also had a large bottle of double strength Watkins vanilla in the cabinet.   If anyone ever breaks into my house, the vanilla would be the most worthwhile thing they could steal......they just wouldn't know it.   lol 

Honored Contributor

Except for the occasional batch of birdie bread, about all I use it for lately is the dog.  I have two 15oz cans, plus one I just started (each one lasts about 2wks) and had just begun wondering how it w/b this year.

Usually, we snag enough for the year at Walmart.  I've been hesitant to go to Walmart during these times and have yet to check my grocery store shelves again (last time nothing). 

Seems like since a few years ago, when they had a bad year for crops, it's been rather difficult and you can only find product about this time of year.  I have a feeling this will be another bad year.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz  and @Pook    guess I'd better try for my own problems

LOL

Respected Contributor

I went to Trader Joe's today and they had canned pumpkin.  I'm sure other grocery stores will be getting there's in stock soon.