Valued Contributor

Re: Where is the Temptations line made..which country? It simply says ""imported"". TIA

On 2/14/2014 Craftie said:

Made in China, Tara may be the designer but Temptations I believe is a QVC product just like Cooks Essential's and that's why it gets so much air time.

I think you are right! It is also one of the most bought line of products on the Q and they are in the business of selling.

Honored Contributor

Re: Where is the Temptations line made..which country? It simply says ""imported"". TIA

I think "imported" is the word used most often on almost every product QVC sells unless it is made in the USA, then it usually will say that.....some things are imported from various countries, depending on the cost at the time, so it could be China, Viet Nam, etc....

Honored Contributor

I don't care where they are made.

I just know that every piece of TT I have ever bought has ended up either chipped, cracked or both.

Fiestaware is made in the USA and lasts forever.

Valued Contributor

On 2/15/2014 upsidedown said:

I think "imported" is the word used most often on almost every product QVC sells unless it is made in the USA, then it usually will say that.....some things are imported from various countries, depending on the cost at the time, so it could be China, Viet Nam, etc....

Sad to say but you are right about so many items here on the Q that are from other countries...

Occasional Contributor

On 2/14/2014 mominohio said:
On 2/14/2014 gkelly5744 said:
On 2/14/2014 mominohio said:
On 2/13/2014 gkelly5744 said:
On 2/13/2014 Daysdee said:
On 2/13/2014 ladybuglainie said:

>Dreamer13.....I heard the exact same thing you did. I remember very well when Tara first started on the Q, she many times very plainly stated she "invented" the line (which at the time only consisted of one Old World green baking dish).

Maybe she meant the designs not the "stoneware" itself. Also, guess it was her idea (and her Mom's) to sell the pieces with the racks, trivet, and lid for storage. The original lids never fit correctly. I hardly remember her first pieces which I guess were a solid color. I know she says the green color was the first for Old World pattern.

Staying with the OP's question..Temp-tations are made in China. I went to The Temp-tations page here on the Q and took a quick look at the first page and the majority sets say they are "MIC", a few others say "imported" and the rest do not say at all.

I agree with Daysdee about saying that Tara & her mom invented the "design" for Temp-tations. I have also watched many many presentations of TT and unless in the last year Tara is saying something different, she has never said she invented stoneware but she did invent the "design of Temp-tations line" with the trivets & racks!

And claiming to either invent or design the system that has dishes with racks and trivets or lid its, it also misleading. Pyrex, clear back in the 40's and 50's had racks with a number of their pieces. Corning Ware did as well, although neither line had as decorative a rack as is now available from TT.

I also had Peterboro baskets that were designed with stoneware inserts prior to Tara's original offerings when they came with wicker baskets and not the metal racks. In the 70's and 80's Pyrex had their glass bakers in a number of nicer wicker baskets as well. It appears to me from what research I've done, that Longaberger had a lid it with their stoneware 9x13 either before or at the same time as TT. If you surf the internet, there are endless choices of stoneware with rack systems.

In reality, Tara took an already existing "technology" if you will, and built a company around it. And I never hear Tara herself say she was the "inventor", but I have heard many a host over the years use that terminology. Recently, the term used has changed to "designer". QVC always wants you to think they have the latest, most original and innovative products on the market. Oftentimes, that is less than true.

So I guess these other companies had Tara's designs on them?? If so, I would love ot see pics of them or a link maybe?? I don't need you to tell me what Tara has done with her business, thank you.

I apologize to the OP, this has absolutely nothing to do with your OP. As I said, TT is MIC

ShopHQ had a set exactly the same sizes, shapes and configurations as a TT set offered on Q. It is called Cooks Tradition. They carry the muffin pan in the same shape as Tara's, and pie dishes with racks. Quiet a few other TT collectors saw these and have reported on them here as well. The only difference was the artwork painted on the pieces.

I have pictures on my phone of pieces at TJ Maxx last year, that had the Old World sponging designs with a slightly different interior design. All these companies are accessing their wares from the same factories overseas, and putting a little twist on the painting.

I have seen pictures on the Temp-tations FB page that folks have posted of pieces that are almost twins of both the Bandana pattern and Floral Lace.

Tara's newer holiday pattern Holly, is almost a carbon copy of a line made in Portugal by Bordallo Pinheiro. Same pattern, same borders, same colors, just not nearly the quality they got making it in Portugal.

Between these last two posts, you have been given many examples and it is clear that, while many of us collect and love our TT, we know there are quality control issues, and that Tara and QVC did not invent or design anything totally original, they've just done a great job of marketing a product that is out there in many very similar forms.

You always have a confrontational attitude when anyone questions the quality or originality of Temp-tations. Even when people are not TT bashing, just exchanging ideas or theories on the products and the company, you get upset beyond what is normal for just a customer and fan of a product. Would you care to share your real agenda with the rest of us?

ShopNBC has the exact product line but a different horrific pattern. Also come with exactly the same wire racks from what I could tell. the presentation is almost identical to the script that Tara gives when doing a presentation on qvc including showing that nasty metal bakeware...the price on the other network was much less though. I think she is selling under a different name for them, its just too similar.

Honored Contributor

On 2/13/2014 gkelly5744 said:
On 2/13/2014 Daysdee said:
On 2/13/2014 ladybuglainie said:

>Dreamer13.....I heard the exact same thing you did. I remember very well when Tara first started on the Q, she many times very plainly stated she "invented" the line (which at the time only consisted of one Old World green baking dish).

Maybe she meant the designs not the "stoneware" itself. Also, guess it was her idea (and her Mom's) to sell the pieces with the racks, trivet, and lid for storage. The original lids never fit correctly. I hardly remember her first pieces which I guess were a solid color. I know she says the green color was the first for Old World pattern.

Staying with the OP's question..Temp-tations are made in China. I went to The Temp-tations page here on the Q and took a quick look at the first page and the majority sets say they are "MIC", a few others say "imported" and the rest do not say at all.

I agree with Daysdee about saying that Tara & her mom invented the "design" for Temp-tations. I have also watched many many presentations of TT and unless in the last year Tara is saying something different, she has never said she invented stoneware but she did invent the "design of Temp-tations line" with the trivets & racks!

I do recall some Corningware pieces came with a rack and some Pyrex probably did too and they also had some Pyrex (probably 9 x 13) with a fabric carrier which I don't think was insulated at the time. Tara took it one step farther with the stoneware piece which is usually painted/decorated, the trivet, the rack and the lids for storage. Her concept is good, but now the workmanship is not good. Also, the first storage lids never did fit correctly. Wish she would have had helper handles on the stoneware from the beginning. Pyrex and Corningware were plain compared to Temptations, but some people prefer plain to designs like Old World. Disappointed to see the TT quality has gone down so much. I have no plans to buy more and now would not take a chance on buying any for gifts.

Not applicable

Hello all,

I have heard so much about the quality of TT going down, It really started to concern me as I have bought several pieces from TT and since have not bought any more, however knock on wood, never had an issue. I always read the reviews, but seemed the good things out weighed the bad, so ordered anyway. I also read a lot of comments about the look and the painting, I know they are all had painted (so they say) and I have a few that have some swirl marks or swoosh marks as I like to call them, so very light you can hardly tell, it kind of adds a little bit of charm to the piece I think.

To me personally nothing is freezer to oven safe, I don't care what your using, that kind of temperature change is not good for anything. If I make anything ahead like that, I have always brought any dish that said fridge, freezer to oven safe to room temp before putting it in an oven and never put it in a really hot oven. After all the comments about breaking and shattering etc. I stopped using them to bake in.

I was watching this past Sunday, a caller did mention on air that her lid it cracked in the oven, needless to say the shocked look on the faces of David and Lisa, they quickly mentioned that you need to bring the dish and oven to temp at the same time. That is never mentioned on any of the presentations and more then likely will never be mentioned again as I'm going to assume it would hurt sales.

Its all about buyer beware on anything we purchase as we all know.

My all time favorite stoneware is Fiesta. they may not have all the colors that everyone likes to see, however its also affordable and its clearly marked on every dish MADE IN THE USA.

Have a good day everyone!

Super Contributor

I don't really understand the "controversy" about Tara saying she designed the TempTations line- of course there was stoneware before, of course there were trivets and racks...

There has been clothing of all types and styles for 1000's of years, yet we call those designers, "designers" as well, even though thee is nothing new under the sun...

Cars have been around for along time, but there are automotive designers, who tweak this or that....

I think a lot of people seem to have it in for Tara, so to speak, I doubt she can do anything right in some peoples eyes....

Valued Contributor

On 2/20/2014 stilltamn8r said:

I don't really understand the "controversy" about Tara saying she designed the TempTations line- of course there was stoneware before, of course there were trivets and racks...

There has been clothing of all types and styles for 1000's of years, yet we call those designers, "designers" as well, even though thee is nothing new under the sun...

Cars have been around for along time, but there are automotive designers, who tweak this or that....

I think a lot of people seem to have it in for Tara, so to speak, I doubt she can do anything right in some peoples eyes....

Thank you,stillamn8r for stating what I was trying to in the earlier post of mine! Even tho the one making such a "fuss" about the design of TT, is the one stating that they have all kinds of Temp-tations in sets & colors? doesn't make sense but hey, whatever floats that posters boat!

Honored Contributor

On 2/20/2014 stilltamn8r said:

Aside from the poster in this forum who always wants to stir the pot with people who have realistic views of this company and their product, I think most posters are just demanding (as all customers are in general theses days) that both Q and Tara be a little more honest in the use of their language when describing themselves, the product, and it's performance.

Many of us remember the word "invented" being used in the past with this product line, and that, while not making the top 10 list of most horrendous things ever said, is less than honest. Using the word designer today, as all your examples have pointed to, seems to be popular, but many posters are simply acknowledging that even that is being used very loosely, especially when you look out at the market place and see so many things almost identical. There is a FB page Temptationistas anonymous that has recent postings of things people saw out there on the market that are so close to TT designs, much like the clothing industry you mentioned. Tara's own FB page often has similar types pics posted.

The controversy comes in when you get one particular poster who belittles posters who simply state these facts, as well as the fact that they have had products fail, and behaves as if she is Tara's mother defending her little girl. Some have suggested that posters, who go out of their way to deny the product line has any flaws and denies that the claims made are sometimes less than forthcoming are a "plant" from Temp-tations company defending the product. Both Q and Temp-tations are smarter than anything this poster tries to pass as fact, and would not be so juvenile as to represent their company in this manner. The controversy isn't so much about the product or the claims, as it is the "head in the sand" posters who have nothing better to do than call others liars.