Occasional Contributor

Where does the food they handle and say they can't eat going

When many people are hungry in th US where does this food shown on TV go?

Super Contributor

iRe: Where does the food they handle and say they can't eat going

Is it a new corporte policy or COVID I wonder ?

Respected Contributor

Re: Where does the food they handle and say they can't eat going

@rncneal337 wrote:

When many people are hungry in th US where does this food shown on TV go?

Would you eat food that has been left under hot studio lights and handled by people?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

Probably goes into the garbage.  They obviously consider it unfit to eat.  QVC certainly wouldn't want to jeopardize the health of anyone.  I don't think what they destroy would alleviate the world's hunger problem.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you order and pay for food and then forget about it in the fridge and have to toss it, are you also guilty of not helping to feed the hungry?

QVC has most likely deducted the sample of the food from their profits.  It is probably an official business expense, just like farmers dumping milk or destroying unsold crops.

Right now QVC has a special promotion for Feeding America.  Just buy one of the special items and you are giving a donation!

I already bought 2 pairs of FFANY shoes for breast cancer donations.

Honored Contributor

Having worked in hospitality, I know the Phoenix  Board of Health doesn't allow businesses to "donate" left over food

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The small amount of food that we don't know what happens to isn't going to solve the country's food problem...which it really doesn't have.

The real issue is making sure everyone who can work has a job so they can feed themselves.  For those who can't there are always people to help them.  I don't hear of thousands dying of starvation. 

Households often throw away food that wasn't eaten.  Restaurants throw away food and half eaten meals.  Shouldn't everyone involved be ashamed, then?

In order to sell the food on TV, there are sales tactics used to get people to buy.  That involves putting a lot on a table, cutting, slicing, squeezing, so buyers can see inside.  

Usually, I suspect QVC employees eat it, but during Covid-19, your guess is as good as mine what happens to it. 

I think it might be thrown away because the host is standing over it and not wearing gloves.  

It could be something with the Pennsylvania Food and Drug Agency that under those circumstances, food can't be eaten during Covid-19.  Restaurant workers must wear masks. 

Respected Contributor

I’m probably sure the staff gets dibs on items that didn’t sit out all day under hot lights.  They must have cut up 100 aplples Sunday, but still cheap to present or waste when they sold 94,000 sets by ITKWD mid day.   Not that I would want to eat what the hosts pulled, pinched, quished, etc.   But several food items are for viewing once.  (Like one temptations or CE presentation).   Cost of doing business.  They may not eat during the presentation on live TV right now, but my guess some would eat it later, off air if allowed.  

Honored Contributor

I used to run conferences and trust me, nothing sitting out very long is something you'd want to eat.  I seriously doubt the staff would touch it with a 10-foot pole.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee There are people going to bed hungry every night in this country. Children are among those going to bed hungry. 

Your post is simplistic, and cold hearted.