Respected Contributor

Re: Where do you store your spice jars?

Clear pocket organizer hanging inside pantry door.

qfrm - spcs.jpg

Super Contributor

house_cat, that's a good idea. Painting it with chalkboard paint would make the front usable. You'd probably have to use a good primer before the chalkboard paint. But, I'm sure you already know that.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to keep them in a plastic container above my stove.  I could pull it out to look forwhatever I needed.  About a year ago, there was another topic on this and somebody mentioned a Horseshoe shaped plastic  holder that had a lower and an upper shelf.  I purchased that at Wal-Mart but it was a little too tall for my storage area over the stove so I moved it to a cabinet beside my stove where I used to keep glasses/mugs.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Super Contributor

On a pull out type tray inside the pantry

Respected Contributor

We have a kitchen cabinet with all 3 shelving units that rotate.  That cabinet is for most used spices and herbs.  Lesser used and extra spices go into the pantry shelves in glass jars with silicon gasket wood lids.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For years, I've kept a small 10-inch tall plastic  three-drawer storage chest on a pantry closet shelf. These multi-drawer chests are easy to find online or at home goods, hardware or craft stores and similar places.  

Spice jars are laid on their sides with labels facing up, and it's easy to find and take out the ones I need.  Eventually, I learn to recall which of the three drawers hold which spices.

Not a very elegant storage solution, but  works for me!

White Organizer With Drawers

Honored Contributor

I have a pull-out spice cabinet next to my range.  It has three shelves.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

The very large jars in the freezer.  Grocery store size in a handmade spice cabinet.

@ECBG 

Are you large jars made of plastic to keep them from breaking?  Spices don't keep very long so that may be a good idea.  I keep all mine in trays beside my stove.  The small ones on the right-hand side and the large ones on the left-hand side with oils.

Honored Contributor

I only have 2 spices, so they're in the cabinet with the salt and pepper shakers and my vitamin bottles.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the review, Housecat!  I've seen that sort of thing and always wondered if it would be a good choice.   Bottom line ended up being that I was too  lazy to give it a go, so mine are all just on shelves in cabinets. 

One main cabinet houses the majority, on 3 shelves.  I have a couple of L&L with bags of Penzey spices that will go into jars when needed that are in another, but it's very little.

The only negative for me is that when I am looking for one or another I end up having to take some out and put on the counter, find what I seek, then put them all back.  I'm used to it, though.  Smiley Happy