Esteemed Contributor

Re: When your kitchenware walks away.....

If u lend something - or give something temporarily -- consider it GONE!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I'mRe: When your kitchenware walks away.....

[ Edited ]

It was once a requested that I make a real New York deli style cheesecake for a board meeting at work.  The big four pkgs of cream cheese kind!  I opened the springform pan at home and placed the metal bottom part on a big nice plate and took it in a pretty pie carrier.  Somebody loved it so much they took the leftovers home and never returned the bottom of my springform pan.  Wasn't at the meeting so have no idea who it was.  Probably thought it was disposable 😉

Honored Contributor

Re: I'mRe: When your kitchenware walks away.....

@minkbunny 

Ugh! I can see that happening, the bottom on its own isn't very substantial and looks disposable to the untrained eye!

@jannabelle1 

You will love them!  I usually make jumbo muffins, most oven with crumb or streusal toppings and they fit just fine.  Also, I cut my apples into quarters, core them, "reassemble" them like a puzzle and take them to work in the little domed container. It keeps them from getting brown.  Good, too, for half onions in the fridge or lemons... so many uses. I love mine.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat, I understood what you meant, and I don't understand either why people don't return these kinds of things.  And especially in this case when they asked if you wanted them back - and you said yes! - they should have returned them.  Certainly they have noticed that they still have them and that they belong to you!

But unfortunately a lot of people don't return things.  They get distracted, they don't think it's important, for whatever reason.  I never give food in containers that I want back.  If  I give something in a nice container or on a nice platter, I consider that part of what I'm giving.  Not only do I not want to have to worry about it, but I don't want to say, "By the way, I need that container back."  I'd rather give without any "conditions".  JMO, but it seems like a nicer gesture that way.

Those little cupcake holders are adorable, btw!  I don't think I've ever seen them before.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 

I hear ya.  I often give baked goods to my neighbor.  I always make sure it's in a plate or tray that they can keep or dispose of - having to wash it out and knock on my door to return it can be seen as a pain in the butt, so I'm always aware of that. 

In this case, however, these are women I literally see every day of the week.  We are a teaching team and our four classrooms are centered around a common work core.  If we were any closer together we'd be in the same room.  It really takes almost zero effort to rinse out the container, throw it into your work bag and return it the next day.  They are unusual looking containers. They must be sitting in their homes somewhere, looking out of place.  It just makes me shake my head.

I've often had similar issues with money.  I used to be in charge of an office pool where everyone chipped in each month for birthday celebrations. I can't tell you how much of it came out of my own pocket, because it's tiring and embarassing to chase people around for money.  If I owe someone money I will literally lose sleep until it's paid back.  

I understand we're all created differently and I find it interesting to study human nature.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

They are Lock and Lock 1 1/4 cup containers with domed lids.  Very cute and very handy.  I would not be happy.

https://www.qvc.com/qvc.product.K48264.html?colorId=000&sizeId=000&ref=GBA&cm_mmc=GOOGLESHOPPINGFEED...Smiley Tongue

Respected Contributor

They are so darn cute I almost got them but don't need them. I understand why they want them. I have a few resturants that have some nice containers that I reuse over & over or dollar tree for my daughter that never will see it again. Right now it's those bags that you buy from dollar tree or grocery store that she seems to keep but I do tell her if you are coming over I want my bags back. My grocery store has cloth 6 pocket wine bags (free) if you buy 6 bottles I love them I put my cleaners in them take them to the bathroom & have everything right there. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat   oh darn.  My family gives all my L&L back but others get either dollar store containers or cottage cheese containers.  My sister and dad both share food with elderly neighbors and BOTH of them even return those or Chinese take outs.  I did find some L&L dupes at the dollar tree. They are actually not bad.  My problem with my L&L, I should stick with a few sizes as my pile looks like yours.  I should just get bowls and squares.  I did get a  tsv’s a few years ago.  Round and zen, but at least those nest. One year I never got a Pyrex 9x13 back.  I had plenty but surely you know it’s not your 9x13.  The cupcake holders are cute!!!

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@house_cat 

I had a friend that took about a year to return a container.  Her reason that it was "bad manners" to return a container empty, so she had been searching all that time for just the right thing that I would enjoy eating.  Cat Surprised

@lolakimono @house_cat That's "tacky" too long.

Honored Contributor

And just a quick update - I still have only gotten one of the L&Ls back. 

I purchased two sets of the Temptations mini-loaf pans so I can bake something and gift them for the holidays.  I plan to make a basket out of it and include a note stating that the baker is part of the gift.  How much do you want to bet I get those back?

#irony

~ house cat ~