Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: When you make a baked potato...

@J Town Girl 

I prefer the oven too. Even when I can't eat the potato skin, there is still a nutty flavour that comes through and the texture is fluffy, not steamed.

I have heard/read of a method of partially cooking in the microwave, then finishing in the oven that supposedly is close to oven results. Has anyone tried it? 

Respected Contributor

I eat them all the time.  I LOVE to eat fresh spinach too and these are easy to make.  I just hate the clean up!  LOL!

I don't use a microwave.  I have one but never use it.  Anyway, I scrub the potatoes with a veggie scrub brush under cold running water.  Then pat dry with paper towel.  Then, I spritz some olive oil into hand, I use the kind of oil from spritz can, and rub hands together and rub onto each potato, not heavy just enough to cover, then do the same thing with salt and stab with knife so they don't blow up in the oven.  Bake for around an hour, like you, depending on the size.  I turn mine every 10 to 15 minutes too.  When ready to eat, I just split them open and put some butter and voila.

The spinach is amazing when I can get really fresh bundles of it.  I just chop off an inch at the bottom of stem (kind of dirty there) then put in sieve and rinse well then just put on paper towels to kind of drain then take bulb of garlic, chop off top, keep paper on and roast for a few minutes.  After chopping down all the spinach I start sauteeing the garlic in pan with some olive oil on LOW light.  Then I add all that lovely spinach and turn up the heat and sautee.  It cooks down and only takes a few minutes.  I turn off heat put pan lid on for few minutes to soften it.  Then, it's ready to plate up.  YUM!!!!!  My husband found these really sweet carrots the other day so I just steam those.  They're so good I don't put anything on them.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi In Phoenix, you could probably bake it on the windowsill. 

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have no doubt!!!!

Respected Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@tucsongal wrote:

Rubbing your potato with olive oil after you ****** it with a fork works pretty well in the microwave as it gets a little bit crispy.

Ha, wondered if that would get edited. The word is pr!ck😁

Yes, Mods are so sensitive, and in my opinion silly. I was writing about a xxxxx willow and it was xed out. I think most people on these forums are adults , and know what people are saying. I xed this myself. Neither word is offensive unless your minds in the gutter., and these are both ligitamate words.

If they paid attention to running this place rightly instead of wasting time here, things would be a lot better.  I said stab the potatoes with a knife.  You MUST do this because the potato can explode in the oven and that could be dangerous.

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

What is a microwave?  I don't have one.

Do you really not know what a microwave is?  Well, to me, they're kind of passe'  sorry for in correct spelling.  Anyway, a microwave looks like a table oven or large toaster oven, if you will. 

It does not use heat.  It uses microwaves that vibrate very rapidly and they rub against each other AND the food, thus, you get "heat".  Now, that's a rudimentary description, if I say so myself but hey, that's my best shot.  LOL!!!  We have one but I'm gonna give it away.  Don't use it.  Don't want it.  You must be very young.  I remember when they were all the rage when they first came out.  Of course I was very young then but I'm getting up there.  LOL!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@HLP wrote:

@tucsongal wrote:

Rubbing your potato with olive oil after you ****** it with a fork works pretty well in the microwave as it gets a little bit crispy.

Ha, wondered if that would get edited. The word is pr!ck😁

Yes, Mods are so sensitive, and in my opinion silly. I was writing about a xxxxx willow and it was xed out. I think most people on these forums are adults , and know what people are saying. I xed this myself. Neither word is offensive unless your minds in the gutter., and these are both ligitamate words.

@HLP - Actually, the forum system has a built-in "nanny filter" that automatically censors potentially inappropriate words—no human intervention required.  Smiley Wink

Your post made me laugh.  "nanny filter".  Good description.  Anyway, I did not know that!!!!

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@BornToShop wrote:

@PA Mom-mom   You and I are on the same page with the olive oil & kosher sea salt!  Can you believe how awesome the crispy skin is?  

@BornToShop  Totally worth the extra steps! (and the oily hands Smiley Wink)

I so agree BUT the olive oil on the hands is GOOD for the skin and in winter, my hands get a treat!!!!!  I love my potatoes this way too.

Respected Contributor

@DeeJoyce wrote:

I had a potato sack from craft fair.  It set on fire 2nd time I used it.  Caught it before it burst into flames but it was smoldering and charred.  

Oh, my!  That's awful!  So sorry to hear that.  You don't need a sack.  Just a nice olive oil rub along with some kosher or sea salt, I just put mine on a tin foil pan and heat for around an hour.  The skin get nice and crispy and the inside nice and fluffy.  Just put what you want on it when it's done.  Awwwwww.  I felt sad to read your post. XO

Trusted Contributor

I cook them in the microwave until they are done.  Then I put them under the broiler to crisp the outside.  I love the skin of the bake potato, I eat the potato in it first and put butter on the inside of the skin and put salt on the butter.   Just love them that way.

Respected Contributor

White pottoes go in the oven.  Sweet potatos go in the Microwave.  Cook 'em up then wrap them in foil for a few minutes.  That's the way my octagenarian Da liked them.  I think they are even Sweeter microwaved and wrapped then done in the oven. BUT Bakers Must be done i the oven. then Slathered with butter and salt.  Scrub them good first because the skins are yummy!