Honored Contributor

When the fridge needs cleaning out, what do you make?

We just cleaned out the fridge and it dawned on me that out of what we have on hand, and need to get rid of before it goes bad, there are a few dishes we usually can make:

Veggies go into soup, vegetable lasagna or a chopped salad (usually a taco type salad).  

Sometimes we have the ingredients for a pizza: leftover sauce, olives, mushrooms, piece of an onion, cheese, hamburger or ham, etc.

Sometimes we do an Oriental stir fry.  RIce might to into a Middle Eastern or Spanish rice stir fry along with some leftover meat. 

Do you have some go-to dishes dictated by what is looking a little sad in the fridge?  It's a real job to keep things rotated sometimes. 

Respected Contributor

Re: When the fridge needs cleaning out, what do you make?

Reservations. I make reservations. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

Pizza is where my leftovers go to, @Sooner !

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 Good one!  Yeah we were "where are the car keys" folk too until the past year and a half.  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 Good one!  Yeah we were "where are the car keys" folk too until the past year and a half.  

Well, there was that little bit, of course. I just resorted to take out or using my Uber eats pass. Obviously, I'm not much of a cook and have little interest in becoming one. Woman Happy

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

if you have lots of veggies in fridge,especially in the fall and winter monthes,months, would make soup.

Esteemed Contributor

Kitchen Sink Chili. Everything but the kitchen sink.

Onions, green or other peppers, baby carrots, tomatoes, garlic, celery, on and on....

A bit rustic, never the same twice. Always says homemade.

Esteemed Contributor

If I have leftovers from a meal I've made, hubby usually eats them, and depending on what it is I help him out! If I have a lot of veggies in the crisper that need to be used, then I normally make soup in the slow cooker. With leftover pizza, I add a little pizza seasoning and additional cheese and warm it in the oven. With a leftover roast and vegetables, I cut it all up and warm it all together with a little more gravy - my mother called it "hash"....

My downfall is that I buy or make too many salad dressings and specialty mustards! Some of them are fine for quite a while, but others need to be pitched!

Honored Contributor

I actually love having a lot of small amounts of leftover veggies + some meat or seafood.  I'll serve them over pasta, rice, or a chopped salad. 

Lots of recipes out there, that require you to wash, peel, chop, and prepare all these ingredients from scratch!   With leftovers, most of the work is done already.  

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Kitchen Sink Chili. Everything but the kitchen sink.

Onions, green or other peppers, baby carrots, tomatoes, garlic, celery, on and on....

A bit rustic, never the same twice. Always says homemade.

@Snowpuppy Since we were in college, poor, and used ever leftover green bean or pea and kernal of corn kept in a freezer bag for soup,  we have called it "garbage soup!"  Woman Very Happy