Valued Contributor

When I hear the hosts name all the people they buy gifts for, I realize that I

must be really selfish or really poor. I think the latter is the answer. I can barely buy for family lit alone the bus driver, the dog walker, the coach, the teachers, the mailman, the garbage man, and a number of others they mention. Whew!  Do most of you buy for everyone that comes and goes in your life?  Oh forgot the UPS man who does earn a very nice wage anyway. Maybe we should get a gift from him for keeping him working. Just kidding. Oh I was happy to see Lodge on air today though.

Honored Contributor

Re: When I hear the hosts name all the people they buy gifts for, I realize that I

Lol. I so understand. I must be the same!

Valued Contributor

Re: When I hear the hosts name all the people they buy gifts for, I realize that I

I do give my pet sitters a gift card, they earn it and I appreciate them.  Ordered the big box of Harry & David pears to share with neighbors, along with a goody bag of Harry London chocolates (from the tins, I can't eat that much candy but wanted the tins) - can't get any better than that.  

Honored Contributor

Maybe I'm the weird one but I can say I've never been concerned on what other's buy, wear, say or do.

Perhaps it's the people I grew up with, the neighborhood, family, I don't know.  

We were all pretty much equal.  I don't remember comparing my life to others.

I just tune out most of their selling techniques.  I know in the first few minutes if I want a product.  After that, what they say is unimportant to me.

Respected Contributor

Just another sales tactic.  I think a lot of the products that they are going to talk about are given to the hosts free of charge so they are able to promote the features on air.  I remember Dave mentioning that he had received some items for free to test out.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

Yep, sales tactic for sure. Sureeeee....I also buy for the checkers at the grocery store, the clerk at UPS store, my Pharmacist, my doctor and allll his assistants, every neighbor on my block, my local barista, my pest control guy, my vet, my lawyer (well okay, maybe him) my financial advisor, the guy who detailed ours cars last week....

And on it goes...

Valued Contributor

I agree. I can not understand the idea of buying gifts for every person you ever meet. The doctors, and teachers make more than I ever did, why should I gift them? And what are they going to do with all that stuff? How many mugs does one teacher need, or use? Not to mention all the nik naks. I'd bet they really don't want all that. Each teacher has about 25 or more students in each class. That's a bunch of junk they have to haul home and find a place for. Same with the doctor. He has a lot of people he/she sees every work day. Why would he/she want to clutter up their home? I give a money tip to the postal carrier. The one year I did give her a pair of Arctic 180's ear muffs after seeing her ears bright red the one very cold day. She still wears them. But, to give a gift to everyone I meet, no. I also don't have a gift closet or drawer for just in case someone drops in on me. That's just nonscence to get you to buy something you don't need. If someone stops by, I'll share the pot of coffee with them. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Forever and a day people have driven themselves crazy trying to "keep up with the Joneses."  If you want to compare yourself to someone else, at least do it where it matters.  Are you as kind as someone else?  Are you as polite?  etc.  Sorry, but I just don't much care if I give as many or as costly gifts as someone else.  And I really, really don't compare what I do to someone who earns multiples of my income.  What's the point of that?

Respected Contributor

I never heard them say "they" buy gifts for all those people.  I hear them giving ideas when mentioning who the gifts might be good for.

Honored Contributor

Just remember the hosts jobs are selling.  They will say most anything to get a sale.  That goes for sales people in stores, car dealerships and any where else there are things for sale.  They only person outside of family I gift at Christmas is our mailman and he gets a loaf of homemade bread.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)