Esteemed Contributor

Re: Whats everyone cooking for this month of october 2022?

Good heavens, my chicken enchiladas were horrible. I think it must be the cheese. I didn't notice what cheese my husband threw in the cart and didn't think it would make THAT much difference, but YUCK. We ended up making burritos out of the rice and beans and the enchiladas got tossed. I hate wasting food ... but see no reason to eat food that tastes horrible. It had a sour taste and I know it wasn't the chicken...so I think maybe the cheese was just "off". 

Tonight I'm making waffles as I don't have any meat totally thawed yet. Hubby will like his waffles and bacon. Any excuse to have bacon. Smiley Happy 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

BBQ ribs and oven roasted potatoes per trucker daughters request.   

Honored Contributor

We're leaving Saturday and will be away for a week.  Half of the week we will be with a number of friends. One of the couples also live a keto lifestyle.  I'm baking an assortment of keto friendly treats to bring along so we'll have dessert options.  I'm only bringing partial amounts, not full batches.  The leftovers will remain in our freezer.  If DH and I can ignore them, I'll pull the leftovers out for dessert at Thanksgiving.  

Crustless Mini Cheesecakes

Chocolate Chip Sheet Pan Cookie Bars

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Coconut Cuocakes. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Enjoy your getaway. Hope the weather is nice, the company enjoyable and the roads safe from idiot drivers.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

Good morning everyone and catsyCline where are you from. I can tell your somewhere in new England. I worked in Shaw's for 20 years and no one ever mentions Shaw's on here.  Monday I made chicken and rice soup .a big pan so we have plenty of leftovers and for last night I made beef And broccoli with shaved steak. My wife had a recipe for a peanut butter desert. Layers of cool whip, nutter butter cookies and vanilla pudding with melted peanut butter mixed in the pudding and some melted peanut butter drizzled over the top. Its really good. Its kinda on the idea of mousse. We haven't seen the sun since Friday. Cloudy and rainy. I ordered a 16 inch ceramic Christmas tree with a Santa and a sleigh and 2 reindeer flying above the tree. I saw it on qvc and I show my wife and she loved it so I ordered it m hope you all have a great week.

@Pooky1   Hi!  yup RI!  i do a lot of my shopping at Market Basket, but thelr seafood could be better, so i like Shaw's for their seafood. The pink shrimp i picked up were frozen but thawed quickly due to no pesky shells to deal with. Aside from a trip to Galilee, Dave's is good too but navigating that store they should serve free wine and not free coffee.  The crooked narrow aisles are just too much sometimes.

Respected Contributor

Tonight i'm winging it. i made sort of a Baked Ziti type thing with odd ends of Mini-penne, farfalle and some frozen baked eggplant slices i had left over.  i used a half-jar of  tomato basil sauce, a short can of tomato sauce, combined those, layered casserole with pasta, mozzarella, a layer of the eggplant, cheese, sauce , repeat etc. Baked at 400 for 30 minutes.

The farmstand is still selling corn, so i sliced off the kernels and served with the casserole.  The part skim Mozz doesnt brown too good. i like the real thing sliced, but i was cleaning out the fridge.   i used all the shredded cheese, it's a bit too much for me.

@kate2357   the cheese they sell now sometimes is that rubbery wierd texture. it may be the low fat type or the way they make it. i read a lot of labels but sometimes the manf just use wierd formulas to make cheese.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CatsyCline wrote:

@Pooky1 wrote:

Good morning everyone and catsyCline where are you from. I can tell your somewhere in new England. I worked in Shaw's for 20 years and no one ever mentions Shaw's on here.  Monday I made chicken and rice soup .a big pan so we have plenty of leftovers and for last night I made beef And broccoli with shaved steak. My wife had a recipe for a peanut butter desert. Layers of cool whip, nutter butter cookies and vanilla pudding with melted peanut butter mixed in the pudding and some melted peanut butter drizzled over the top. Its really good. Its kinda on the idea of mousse. We haven't seen the sun since Friday. Cloudy and rainy. I ordered a 16 inch ceramic Christmas tree with a Santa and a sleigh and 2 reindeer flying above the tree. I saw it on qvc and I show my wife and she loved it so I ordered it m hope you all have a great week.

@Pooky1   Hi!  yup RI!  i do a lot of my shopping at Market Basket, but thelr seafood could be better, so i like Shaw's for their seafood. The pink shrimp i picked up were frozen but thawed quickly due to no pesky shells to deal with. Aside from a trip to Galilee, Dave's is good too but navigating that store they should serve free wine and not free coffee.  The crooked narrow aisles are just too much sometimes.

I love Galilee......that is where I gat the ferry to Block Island.......Whole belly clams and clam cakes......I WANT THEM NOW !!!

Valued Contributor

@Danky2 wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

@Pooky1 wrote:

I love Galilee......that is where I get the ferry to Block Island.......Whole belly clams and clam cakes......I WANT THEM NOW !!!

Growing up on Jamestown, Scarborough and Narragansett .........what wonderful times.

no bridge to Newport at that time.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CatsyCline 

Sometimes my best concoctions happen on cleaning out the fridge/freezer/pantry days. If my hubby asks can we have that again? I have to laugh and tell him probably not.

For my enchiladas and tacos I normally buy the cheddar and Monterey jack blend. My husband picked up a package going by color only and it was labeled Mexican blend. Not sure if that's what it always tastes like or if it had gone sour. But we won't be buying it again. 

Edited to add...I like the whole milk mozzarella the best vs skim milk version. Better taste.

Respected Contributor

@Danky2   there's a fascinating doc on RI PBS site about the Newport Bridge project.  There was one woman engineer working on the project (Bethlehem Steel) and TPTB would not allow her to put in overtime.   i remember driving over the old Jamestown bridge, that was freaky!  instead of a roadway there were open grates... always felt like it was about to collapse too.