Honored Contributor

Re: Whats cooking this november?

[ Edited ]

@kate2357 

First I baked the potatoes directly on the oven rack, with no foil or covering because they turn out best if the skins crisp up. If you're in a hurry you can start them in the microwave, but the oven baking step is really necessary.

I let them cool a bit, scoop out the potato and mash it with butter, milk, salt and pepper.

I then mixed in a package of THAWED but not cooked, broccoli with cheese sauce and loaded the mixture back into the potato "boats". If you like your broccoli very soft, there's no reason you can't cook the broc/cheese mixture before adding it to the mashed potatoes, but just remember it will cook during the second baking process.

I put the prepped taters into the fridge and when I got home from work I baked them (350°) for another 45 minutes or so in a Pyrex loaf pan with a very little bit of water at the bottom just to keep them moist. The loaf pan keeps the top-heavy potatoes upright during the bake.

You'll probably wind up with extra potato mixture, even after over-stuffing the potato shells. You can freeze it in a small ramekin and bake it another time... maybe even add some crumbled bacon... just sayin'.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Having lived half our lives in NYC, we really miss the yumminess of Jewish delis.  Perhaps @ECBG knows of one here in my city, but I haven't found one yet.

I found potato knish in the freezer section of our store and I bought some good quality pastrami and swiss cheese.  Tonight we'll have pastrami/swiss panini with potato knish... Jewish deli with an Italian twist.

Tuesday is our sandwich night and I'm really looking forward to this one!

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat 

Thank you for taking the time to share your twice baked potato procedure. Sounds yummy. ITA about baking the potatoes for the crispy skin.

I am going to put the broccoli and cheese item on my grocery list and give this a try for my lunch meal. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

I'm sorry,  but no nothing about Jewish recipes.

When I want something special,  I go to Fresh Market.  Thank goodness I don't have to deal with the north end of town!

You might ask Shanus.

Honored Contributor

Cooking lots of roasted vegetables (broccoli, carrots, eggplant, zucchini, onions),  turkey chili very spicy, burgers on pretty days, salads with lots of veggies as a side for tuna (Portugese sardines for me), chicken breasts poached in tomato juice and lots of spices, bulgar for grain salads, brown basmati rice to go with stir frys with shrimp. 

Honored Contributor

Today's Lunch:
Florentine Chicken
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Chia Pudding w/Fresh Blueberries

Esteemed Contributor

DiGiorno Croissant 4-cheese frozen pizza.

New for us. I still haven't found a frozen pizza I like - ever since Pepperidge Farm.

Honored Contributor

@Danky2 

Hope you enjoyed your chicken and dumplings.  

My husband and I really like them, but I do not add vegetables to ours.  

Valued Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Danky2 

Hope you enjoyed your chicken and dumplings.  

My husband and I really like them, but I do not add vegetables to ours.  

HI REDTOP........

I didn't mean veggies in the real sense of the word......I sautéed onion, carrot and celery

just to give it some added flavor....I really did enjoy it, my first, but it was even better for lunch today.

Valued Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

DiGiorno Croissant 4-cheese frozen pizza.

New for us. I still haven't found a frozen pizza I like - ever since Pepperidge Farm.

I haven't found one either but I have never tried the Croissant one......Schwan's makes the best frozen pizza I have had so far......let me know how you like the DiGorno......