Esteemed Contributor

Re: Whats cooking this november?

@MOMMAVik 

Sounds like you had a fabulous trip out to PNW. We've switched to our normal rainy weather after months of dry and warm. If your daughter lives on Bainbridge, she lives in a very delightful area. We love it when we get a chance to take the ferry over to the island, even if it's just a road trip to gawk at the scenery.

I'm having leftover chili tonight that I had in freezer and my hubby is having pizza. Easy night for me.

Stay warm and hope you have a delightful weekend.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG 

Could you share what ingredients you put in your cheesy sausage chowder? It sounds like something we would like.

I'm guessing a cheddar white sauce base made w/ a splash of beer, sausage, onions and potatoes. Did I get close?

I'm always looking for ways to make a soup w/ sausage - I make a lentil & sausage and a black bean w/ bacon and sausage. I use a chicken stock base for both and lots of spices. Your cheesy chowder would be a nice addition.

And we don't mind leftovers here either. Many times I do as you - plan and cook enough for leftovers. 

Smiley Happy 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Took a day off in I can't even remember when for Fall cleaning and baking. Made pumpkin almond muffins which are gluten free and I also tried an egg roll in a bowl recipe that DV talked about last week. It's really good and easy to make with plenty of leftovers. Enjoy your weekend! 

Honored Contributor

Pretty good guess @kate2357 except it uses Velveeta (yikes, some posters would annihilate me for using it) and cream of ce!ery soup as the base. A Green Bay TV station has a cooking show and I watched it being made. I thought this would be a good meal for Sunday's Packers/Cowboys game. I'm not a fan of celery, but the hostess said not to substitute cream of mushroom or cream of chicken so I purchased the cream of celery soup.

You can view the recipe at "thecookingmom.com' under soups, then Sausage & Cheese Chowder.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG 

Thank you for the info. That's an interesting recipe site and I am not sure I would have stumbled upon it w/o your help.

Velveeta is an excellent melting cheese. My stepmother would make the best hot dishes using  Velveeta cheese. I use Velveeta about once a year to make a hot dip when the boys come over to watch a football game.

Her shortcuts make sense for cooks who want/need/like to take shortcuts due to time restrictions. I also like to have quick meal ideas when I am running behind or just not feeling like cooking from scratch. 

I am going to try making a version of this soup sometime this winter.

Hope you have a great evening. 

Valued Contributor

Last night for dinner I had Sea Bass, stuffed baked potatoes and asparagus......

Thanks for the recipe, house cat, added sour cream and bacon......delicious !

Honored Contributor

Breakfast today,  I made egg bites with broccoli and goat cheese and a sweet potato on the side.

I also made the most fantastic gluten free Italian seasoned crackers. The recipe was on a Walmart almond flour bag. They did rosemary and thyme which I don't like so I substituted Italian seasonings. Easy to make, bakes quick, tastes delicious. Have a whole box in my refrigerator to be used as croutons and for soup. I think I might do the same recipe with garlic for an Italian bread loaf. 

Esteemed Contributor

Made a chicken and rice casserole for a neighborhood gathering. I also took rum and pecan brownies. Hubby and I enjoyed all the yummy food our neighbors provided and will probably just have  toast if we get hungry later.

Valued Contributor

Had a hamburger, home  made potato salad, cauliflower and applesauce.

Valued Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

Made a chicken and rice casserole for a neighborhood gathering. I also took rum and pecan brownies. Hubby and I enjoyed all the yummy food our neighbors provided and will probably just have  toast if we get hungry later.

I don't live in a neighborhood and, in fact, I never have....We are the only house on the street and own all of the land......I guess it is what you are used to, but I never really

miss it. As a child we didn't live in a neighborhood and neither did my children... they had to import people in !