Honored Contributor

Re: Whats cooking this month of december?

We will be eating leftover meatloaf, cranberry beans, cornbread, onions and chow chow for supper.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop 

What exactly is chow chow?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cranberry walnut cake.

3 eggs

2 cups of granulated sugar

3/4 butter cubed softened.  Very important

2 teaspoons vanilla

2cups flour

Option topping. But well worth putting it

1\4 cup butter 

1\4 cup light or dark drown sugar

2.1\2cups fresh or frozen cranberries

1cup in roasted pecans or walnuts

bake at 350.  In a 10 inch spring form pan. I spray it and put parchment paper in it.works well. Beat eggs and sugar until very smooth and increased in volume. Beat 4 to 7 minutes with a whisk attachment. Eggs and sugar mixture will double and turn very pale yellow.beat in butter and vanilla. Beat 2 minutes or until butter is smoothly incorporated. It may take longer. If butter isn't soft enough. I have microwaved it for 10 seconds and its been ok. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the flour and cranberries fresh or frozen work well. Batter will be thick. Spread gently in pan. Topping. Heat butter over medium heat. Add Brown sugar and stir. Add nuts .cook for 2 minutes stirring until until butter and sugar is shiny and smooth. Spread over cake. Bake 60 to 80 minutes. For spring form pan.   I tried to make this in 2 . 9 inch cake pans .that's when I had to throw it all in the garbage. I use to do it a good size bigger pan to but I finally smartened up and used the pan the recipe recommended and it turned out great.I will use the spring form pan from now on.Good luck when you try this cake.let me know how you like it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you v-e-r-y much, @Pooky1 !!

Definitely my next cake!

How much cranberries?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
  • Well harps that's for me to know and for you to find out. Just kidding 2 1\2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat 

It's a relish made with cabbage, onions, carrots, peppers, sometimes green tomatoes, in a brine of sugar, vinegar and spices.  

Years ago when we raised a big garden, Mom and I would can a big batch of it and split the jars.  I just buy it now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pooky1 

Your cake recipe looks good. I've copied it so I can make it soon. I love cranberries (not the jelly kind) and look forward to giving this a try.

Thank you for sharing.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

I decided to have breakfast today.  Normally I'm still fasting until noonish.  I had some bacon and eggs.  

Lunch will be:

Taco Salad

Chia Seed Pudding w/Lakanto SF Maple Syrup

Then I'll start fasting again until lunch tomorrow. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, I almost forgot...

I'm going to make some keto candied pecans today.  That could be dangerous, they're addictive. 😋 

Esteemed Contributor

Stir-Fried Napa Cabbage and chicken breast with Spicy Garlic Dressing. (Inspiration came from the foodandwine web site). Will serve w/ jasmine rice.

One of the ingredients in original recipe is gochugaru. I had no idea what that was and was pretty sure I didn't want to buy an ingredient where I only needed 1 tsp. Turns out it's just red chili pepper ... which I have in my pantry most all the time.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."