Honored Contributor

Re: Whats cooking this month of July?

Tonight I'm making New England clam chowder and crab cakes. I'll make the chowder from scratch, but the crabcakes are store-bought.

My kids brought over a boatload of cucumbers yesterday. They pickled most of them, but I was still left with a batch so I made tzatziki sauce.  Not sure what I'll do with it all.  I'm wondering if I can use it instead of tartar sauce with the crab cakes.... worth a try!

tzatziki sauce july 2022.JPG

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Tonight I'm making New England clam chowder and crab cakes. I'll make the chowder from scratch, but the crabcakes are store-bought.

My kids brought over a boatload of cucumbers yesterday. They pickled most of them, but I was still left with a batch so I made tzatziki sauce.  Not sure what I'll do with it all.  I'm wondering if I can use it instead of tartar sauce with the crab cakes.... worth a try!

tzatziki sauce july 2022.JPG

I LOVE tzatziki sauce. Yours looks delicious. I would DEFINITELY serve this with crabcakes. ENJOY!!!!

Honored Contributor

Brats with sauerkraut, roasted baby reds, and watermelon.

Honored Contributor

I have a lot of boneless skinless chicken breasts in the freezer so I decided to use them a lot this week.  

Todays lunch:

*Grilled Chicken Breast seasoned with a little fajita and taco seasoning, topped with melted cheddar and garnished with salsa, pico de gallo, diced avocado, and dollop of sour cream

*Steamed afresh Green Beans

Chia Seed Pudding with Fresh Raspberries 

Honored Contributor

Country ham and french toast for us tonight.  Mentioned on another thread I hadn't had either for awhile, and just had to fix some!

Honored Contributor

We had feta and spinach chicken sausages with green beans and crescent rolls for DH.  I usually blanch green beans a few minutes before I saute them, but tonight I boiled the heck out of them and they never got tender.  Neither of us could chew through them and we tossed them into the trash. They looked nice and fresh when I was preparing them, I can't understanding what made them so tough.  Does anyone know?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

What type of green bean did you buy?

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@house_cat 

What type of green bean did you buy?

They were packaged in a bag, from Aldi. This is the first time I bought produce there.

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 8.08.51 PM.png

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

I wasn't expecting a packaged bean; I thought you had purchased fresh beans from a local market.   

I only buy fresh or Hanover canned green beans, sauté bacon and onion together, add beans, water and a chicken bouillon cube.  Canned green beans about 40 minutes maybe; fresh green beans cook at least 1 1/2 hours, depending on how many I'm cooking.   I don't add salt or pepper until the last 15 minutes or so.   

We don't have ALDIs close by, so am not familiar with anything available there.   

Respected Contributor

We will have salmon patties, nac & cheese and steamed broccoli. Watermelon for dessert.

Everyone enjoy the day! Very pleasant weather here so we will eat outside!