Respected Contributor

Re: Whats cooking in this month of may?

@kate2357, Thanks for your suggestions. We put them in egg dishes, green salad, potato salad. I didn't know that you could leave them in the ground longer. Does the bulb just grow into a round onion? I am not good at gardening. We plant tomatoes, cucumber & one zucchini plant. Don't have too much space!
Esteemed Contributor

@MOMMAVik wrote:
@kate2357, Thanks for your suggestions. We put them in egg dishes, green salad, potato salad. I didn't know that you could leave them in the ground longer. Does the bulb just grow into a round onion? I am not good at gardening. We plant tomatoes, cucumber & one zucchini plant. Don't have too much space!

@MOMMAVik 

Yes, they just grow bigger round bulbs below the surface. If you can yank out green onions to leave a bit of space between, say 3-5 inches, it would leave enough room. You can leave in the ground for quite awhile. I leave in the ground and pull up as needed. Now ... I am not in a hot, dry climate, so not sure if that impacts how long to leave in. Onions are really an easy plant to grow.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

Having toasted brie cheese sandwiches and fruit salad for dinner. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@MOMMAVik 

I agree with what @kate2357  is saying.  

You are eating the onion in the earliest stage when you pull those green tops out of the ground.  As long as the bulb part under the ground has room to grow, it will develop into an onion.  

Those green tops will grow to a length of about a foot and get thicker during the growth process, and will not be anything you want to eat at that point.   Some of those growing onions will "go to seed", and you will see a round pod develop on the tough green stalks.  My brother and I had to snap those off when they became visible, and we just threw them out in the garden, so at times we found a few "volunteers" growing here and there.

When the onion has finished growing, the green stalk will have turned brown and probably be lying on the ground, which is the sign it's time to harvest.  We dug them out of the ground, laid them out on a piece of cardboard to dry in our basement for several weeks, and usually had enough onions to last all winter.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop, thank you! Yes, we pick them before the green stalks aren't too tall. I snip those into salads, scrambled eggs, egg salad,potato salad & pasta salads. I will be growing them like you & @kate2357 say & follow your directions to dry them out. Excited for my new gardening experiment! Just need it to warm up here.

Honored Contributor

We are on our way back home.  Had a fantastic time on our little trip. When we get there we'll likely munch on some random things and call it dinner.  Neither of us are terribly hungry.  No cooking tomorrow either, the family is taking me out to lunch.

Honored Contributor

Oven baked pork chops, rice-a-roni, broccoli, sliced yellow tomatoes.   

Esteemed Contributor

Ran a half marathon with my son down in Oregon today. He of course finished much quicker than I did --- he is almost a foot taller and 35 years younger than me --- so not unexpected. I was pleased with how I ran. We plan on doing a marathon in June and then I plan on going back to running just 5-6 miles a day instead of the pace I've been on the past 8 months.

We had a meal after we finished and then went out to check on our beach house on the coast. By the time we got home I was exhausted and had toast for dinner. Smiley Happy Quite the chef today.

Esteemed Contributor

Had a wonderful brunch at my oldest son's house. He and his brother arranged for a catered meal for all of us ladies. Brought home some quiche, cut fruit and cheesecake to have for dinner tonight. Two days of no cooking. I could begin to like this! Smiley Happy

Hope everyone had a nice day. I am ready for some sunshine and warmer weather. It's been way too cold and wet, even for Seattle. Below is a picture from a garden spot in Seattle ... not my picture .... but this is why we live here ... for sunny days and lovely public gardens to visit. Alas, we need rain to get these fab gardens.

seattle garden spot.PNG

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kate2357, Wow! Our daughter lives in Seattle. She moved there to take a position at Seattle University about 8 months ago. She loves Seattle & from her pictures I can see how beautiful a state it is. How nice that you were treated to a delicious meal today! Happy Mother's Day!