Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Whats cooking in this month of may?

@Pooky1   hope all is well....from your South County friend. i would love the recipe for baked stuffed lobster.  an Italian boyfreind made this years ago, but his recipe was never shared. it was divine!!

Respected Contributor

Made a casserole with ham and potatoes. I

finally got to use my naturalized parsley in it too. It is just now ready. The seeds came from Connecticut over 20 years ago.

I also made my dh's favorite pie....rhubarb, so he is a happy guy tonight lol

Honored Contributor

Our lunch today will be:

Grilled Chicken with melted cheese and bacon

Cauliflower Mac & Cheese 

Green Beans 

Chia Pudding w/Lakanto SF Maple Syrup 

Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Found parmesano reggiano rinds in the supermarket over the weekend so the broth/soup had to happen.

Also made ground turkey with mexican seasoning for tacos all week.  

@Laura14 

Can you share the broth/soup you make w/ the parm rinds? That sounds intriguing and I love me some reggiano parmesano. TIA.

@kate2357 This time I made a simple broth/soup which means you can create the broth yourself using your own vegetables and stock or I just got a premade vegetable broth and simmered the rind in it for a couple of hours. You can use it as pesto or soup or with any pasta sauce you like.    

You can do the same thing with tomato sauce instead and simmer it with a rind as well to cheese it up. 

One note: this will add salt to your food so if you are being mindful, parmesan will up the sodium content for those who are watching.   

Honored Contributor

We finished our last kettle of chili. I won't make it again until the colder weather begins in fall. Tonight we'll have meatloaf, mashed potatoes and corn.

Honored Contributor

Homemade pizza for us tonight.

Esteemed Contributor

Leftover pork roast and adding mashed potatoes to go w/ the gravy I made yesterday. Also made some sliced apple with brown sugar & cinnamon to serve cold w/ the meal. As I expected, corn on the cob in May is not very good. (too starchy, not much flavor).

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@kate2357 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Found parmesano reggiano rinds in the supermarket over the weekend so the broth/soup had to happen.

Also made ground turkey with mexican seasoning for tacos all week.  

@Laura14 

Can you share the broth/soup you make w/ the parm rinds? That sounds intriguing and I love me some reggiano parmesano. TIA.

@kate2357 This time I made a simple broth/soup which means you can create the broth yourself using your own vegetables and stock or I just got a premade vegetable broth and simmered the rind in it for a couple of hours. You can use it as pesto or soup or with any pasta sauce you like.    

You can do the same thing with tomato sauce instead and simmer it with a rind as well to cheese it up. 

One note: this will add salt to your food so if you are being mindful, parmesan will up the sodium content for those who are watching.   

@Laura14 

Ah, so you use it as a flavoring. I'm going to try this sometime soon when I have rinds leftover. I typically buy reggiano and shred my own cheese. I've never actually seen just the rinds for sale ... so I would need to save up enough rind ends to add to a broth. Have you ever tried freezing the rinds? I'm thinking they are dry enough they would freeze okay. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kate2357 Correct.  It just flavors whatever liquid you choose to put it in. It will thicken up broth to an almost soup consistency if you simmer it long enough. And of course adding pasta or more vegetables will also make it your own.      

I have not personally frozen rinds but I don't see any reason why you couldn't.  I was shocked to find them for sale in the supermarket here.  I don't find a whole lot of Italian anything in this part of the country since moving away from the Northeast. I grab it when I see something from home. 

Honored Contributor

@kate2357  I freeze mine, in fact there are probably three in there now.