Respected Contributor

I made a pot of jambalaya in my slow cooker. I don't like super hot, spicy food so I went easy on the cayenne pepper. Turned out great!

Honored Contributor

Hubby and I are home alone today, so our supper will be a hamburger, and homemade fries.

Trucker daughter will be home tomorrow after 10 days on the road, and will be home with us for 3 days.  She's asked for brown beans and cornbread, roast turkey, pea salad, cherry cheesecake, and pickled beets this visit (not all in the same meal).   

I made an early run to the grocery store this morning to get the few things I didn't have on hand.   After my "break" is over, I will be making the cheesecake, the pea salad, and preparing the pickled beets and eggs, since Easter is only 2 weeks away.   

Respected Contributor

Re: Whats cooking in march?

[ Edited ]

@aroc3435& @Pooky1  I watched Carnival Eats on the Cooking Channel & they visited a fair booth that made zeppole. I think it is what I read about in your posts. It showed how they had to pull handfuls of dough & push their thumb thru the center. After deep frying they shook them in powdered sugar. Wow, made my mouth water. I hope this is what you were writing about. Never heard about zeppole before. Yum

Respected Contributor
Still a bit chilly here. Found a turkey breast in freezer so that is on the dinner menu tonight. Adding glazed carrots, boiled red potatoes & tossed salad. Lo & behold, discovered a can of our favorite whole berry cranberry sauce hiding in the back of the pantry! Starving already! Enjoy the weekend!
Respected Contributor

@MOMMAVik  Zeppole is an airy, light pastry that is piped into a doughnut shape and usually fried (can be baked) and then split and filled with a cream filling--usually vanilla or chocolate.  It is like a cream puff or eclair dough.

If the filling is made with ricotta cheese instead of the cream it has a different Italian name.  I prefer the cream filling. rather than the ricotta.

They both usually have the powdered sugar sprinkled on them so what you saw was similar and would make sense at an outdoor carnival setting.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Respected Contributor
Thx @aroc3435, These sound delicious!
Honored Contributor

Making pork chops on the grill tonight. Making Bourbon chicken tomorrow night. Yum!!!

Respected Contributor

Good evening everyone. Mommavik. Yes that is a zeppole.plus there's cream inside of BB them to. Those are American zeppole. Traditional zeppole oh would get in Italy or some Italian people just a round piece of dough fried and dipped in powdered sugar or honey or a few other ways. The first time my Italian wife picked up zeppole from her mom from Italy she told me don't expect creme filled zeppole. 

Respected Contributor
@Pooky1, Thank you! Fried & dipped in 🍯 honey ... yum! If I ever come across zeppoleI will try one (or two!) for sure!
Respected Contributor

Making hamburgers on the grill and onion rings. Great weather here,sunny and 70. 

Hope everyone has a good week!