Respected Contributor

Re: Whats Cooking this month of september?

@house_cat, Somehow I thought you were closer to Asheville. We only have one dry county in the state and that is Graham. I have read that there are 2 that do not have an ABC store. I hope someone did explain about ABC stores here. I think we are the only state with that system.

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 

Liquor sales in WV are also controlled thru the state ABC system.  

Respected Contributor

Meatloaf, potato salad and steamed green beans for dinner. Ice cream with hot fudge topping for dessert. I am excited for the next few days as the weatherman is forecasting much cooler temps for the next few days! I see some possible lasagna or other cool weather comfort foods on the table ahead!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tiny 2 

I'm 15 min north of Asheville in Madison County.

There's an ABC store in Weaverville, where I work and one in Burnsville near my kids, also multiple ones in Asheville, but since neither DH nor I drink alcohol, I haven't had a reason to shop there... until now... I do need some marsala wine for my pantry.  I always keep a bottle of bourbon for cooking and rum for the holidays.  Last time the bourbon ran out, one of my kids replaced it, so I haven't had to buy any since moving here.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@tiny 2 

I'm 15 min north of Asheville in Madison County.

There's an ABC store in Weaverville, where I work and one in Burnsville near my kids, also multiple ones in Asheville, but since neither DH nor I drink alcohol, I haven't had a reason to shop there... until now... I do need some marsala wine for my pantry.  I always keep a bottle of bourbon for cooking and rum for the holidays.  Last time the bourbon ran out, one of my kids replaced it, so I haven't had to buy any since moving here.

@house_cat, You are still a good distance away from me. I am going up at the end of the month to my house up there. I have not spent any time since my husbands death. I recently had a very involved stomach surgery and I'm finally able to eat again and ok to travel. Yay. I hope to be up there for a few months. I do have to travel back here for my iv infusion and some rest days after that. I have family that will be visiting for some leaf peeping trips.LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

Dinner tonight is one of my favorite pasta dishes. I love it w/ lots of black pepper. Spaghetti Carbonara, Caesar salad and raspberry limoncello gelato.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@tiny 2 

Liquor sales in WV are also controlled thru the state ABC system.  

@RedTop, Yes , Apparently some others too. I'm not sure where I got that from. Should have looked it up. We(NC) have had some really strange laws over the years regarding alcohol. I remember when you had to bring it to a club or establishment in a brown bag and pay for the set ups like orange juice etc. It was such a big deal when you could go into a restaurant with a bar and order a daiquiri.

Honored Contributor

Trucker daughter asked for chili casserole with baked cornbread topping.   Probably not going to go over well with my husband, but he can have last nights pork roast leftovers!

Honored Contributor

Last week I brought home 6 lbs of ground beef and 2 lbs of ground pork. I immediately made what I call my "meatball mix", sealed it up and put it into the freezer. 

I used some of the beef to prep and freeze a meatloaf for tonight, which was a godsend after a busy day of doctor appointments.  I should mention that I also froze a small Ziplock bag of mashed potatoes from last week. I heated them up in a small saucepan and couldn't tell the difference from fresh.  I need to do that more often because I often get carried away with mashed potatoes and wind up throwing a bunch away. We also had some frozen mixed veggies, oh and gravy of course! It was an easy, yummy meal.

@tiny 2 

I'm glad to hear that you are recovering well.  These beautiful mountains in the autumn will surely make you feel better.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Making ham, potato, and corn chowder today.