Honored Contributor

Re: What winter meals your Mom made.......

Mom's Sunday after church pot roast was great but in the winter when it turned into Monday night stew was even better.  I also loved just as much her cooked all day pinto beans with bits of ham.  Then served over homemade cornbread with a big hunk of an onion on my plate.  Cold weather and Country eating!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

My mother was, and still is, a horrible cook (but don't tell her that, she thinks she is an excellent cook).  My good food memories are from my paternal grandmother.  She was  first generation American, family hailing from Germany and Austria.  Her mother, my great-grandmother (who I was fortunate enough to have known), owned and ran a bakery in Brooklyn, and boy, could my grandmother bake and cook!  Everything was from scratch.  She made the best lasagna ever!  

Respected Contributor

My mom made Shepherd's Pie a lot when I was a kid.  I didn't  like it.

Honored Contributor

Chicken soup, meatless vegetable soup.  Delicious lemon merangue (sp?) pie and lots of cookies given  to family and friends.  

Esteemed Contributor

My mother died almost 38 yrs ago --- but, daily, I think of her delicious Jewish cooking. For the Jewish holidays, she made cholent ---- similar to a beef stew - with carrots, potatoes, etc. She also made blintzes - from scratch. Similar to crepes rolled over pot cheese and farmer cheese inside.She also made kasha varnishkes (buckwheat and pasta bows). I'm not a cook so I miss her terribly and her great cooking.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother made the best Brunswick Stew you would ever taste..  It was better than any you could find in Barbeque places here in NC or in the grocery.  No recipe though, she just went by memory... 

Contributor

Winter, spring, summer, fall--in coastal San Diego, no real seasonal dishes in my Mom's kitchen! Lots of fresh fish and shell fish (Dad was in a scuba diving club). Ah, those were the days! Still are!
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I never lived with my mother and no I wasn't adopted.  So my memories come from living with my grandmother, my maiden aunt and my Dad.

Everything was home make.  The most amazing cakes.....you just can't imagine, totally from scratch.  Coconut cake, chocolate cake (real chocolate, etc).

My aunt was amazing at everything.  She crocheted bedspreads, tablecloths, you name it.

What I made for my family, I learned totally on my own.  I went to live with my sister when I was around 12 years old.  We didn't have much to eat and were lucky when we did have food.  My sister was a single mother with myself and 4 children.  This was the early 60's.  

There was no government help.  My sister worked 2 jobs and I came right home from school to care for the children.  Even with all of the difficulties, I skipped my junior year of high school.

No boo hoos.  Life is what you make it.

So, I waited to have children and was a stay at home mom.  So now I'll tell you what I MADE.

Home made lasagna, vegetable soup, oyster stew, lots of foods.

My daughter is coming for a few days while I have cataract surgery.  I'll make some of her favorites.  She'll take pictures and send to her sister's with the caption "eat your heart out".  Ha!

I do love reading the memories of everyone here.  It doesn't make me sad that I didn't experience a life many other's did.  I know there are a lot of people who had much worse back then and do now.

You ladies rock.  I like the way you have the sense to appreciate life as it is.  My motto is enjoy today but look forward to tomorrow when it will be even better.

Today is a gift from GOD.  He has given us 24 hours to use as we will, when the day is done I hope I don't regret the price I paid for it.

Take care sweet ladies and keep reminiscing........

@Annabellethecat66 

I have not read a sweeter post than this!  Thank you for sharing and for the fortitude it takes to not regret what you did not have but to be to be thankful for what you did/do have.   What a lesson for many to learn. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't remember eating any different in the winter than the rest of the year.

My mom did have leukemia since I was about 4 1/2 yrs old. Plus there was 7 of us kids to take care of.

Dad was in the Air Force. I remember him being gone on TDY a lot. I wondered how we got groceries while he was gone since mom did not drive.

Esteemed Contributor

We did not have much money growing up but my mother would make a five star meal out of whatever was on hand. Memories of her simmering pot of pinto beans seasoned with a ham hock , golden fried chicken, cast iron skillet cornbread and peach cobbler for dessert, comfort me more than any of our Sunday suppers. She is in poor health now and unable to cook as she used to, but those wonderful memories I cherish. Because I am now pescatarian, and no longer eat much of the cuisine I grew up on, I am inspired by her cooking legacy and will don an apron, and  cook a healthier meal that requires hours to prepare on a chosen Sunday, as an homage to her.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖