Esteemed Contributor

What winter meals your Mom made.......

were your favorites.  I remember her chicken n biscuits or chicken n dumplings,  roast beef w/her gravy& mashed pot, her vegetable beef soup was wonderful.  In high school my best friend always wanted to come when that soup was served. Soup was always served w/fresh crusty bread. 

If she had left over roast beef Mom made 2 pie crusts.  She put diced or shredded beef, diced potatoes in a pie shell, top with a crust and baked it. When served added hot gravy over it. Veggie as a side dish. Simple but it was good.

No written recipes so I have to wing it.

Valued Contributor

Re: What winter meals your Mom made.......

My mom made Golumpki (Golabki) aka cabbage rolls.  Every time the weather cools, and football is on the TV, I want stuffed cabbage!!

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 @My mom made everything you said except for the beef pie.I loved those meals too..my mom is in a nursing home now and can’t cook anymore so for thar reason these memories  made me a little sad.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  As soon as small game season started, Mom would make the best pan fried pheasant, rabbit and squirrel on the planet. She cut them into parts, salt, peppered and floured them, and fried them in butter in her her cast iron frying pan. She served them with either mashed turnips or mashed potatoes. My brother would be SO disappointed if it was mashed turnips! 

Esteemed Contributor

@dex   I didn't mean to make you feel sad.  Mom has been gone for 13 yrs. now but my sister and I always do the "do you remember when Mom made" thing.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mom was a FABULOUS baker, but not the best cook in the world, mostly because my dad disliked most seasonings, including something essential and innocuous like SALT.  (insert scary emoji here).

Like RLS, no written recipes.  "Just add a little of this and that".

So my sister & I can't duplicate her perfect hot German potato salad (evidentally the bacon provided salt).  And I loved her oxtail soup, but my beef/vegetable soup doesn't come close. Those darned tail bones must add something, LOL.

Denise
Honored Contributor

My mother was not a good cook but we ate out a lot!  Everything she made had Campbells soup in it.

Honored Contributor

Veal Rollatini, beef stew, tuna casserole, corn fritters, potato pancakes, goulash, roast chicken, gravy red and brown, these were some of the great meals she made.  My dad was very fussy and strict with what he ate and we had weekly deliveries from a butcher who knew exactly what types and cuts of meats he liked.  As I grew older I realized and appreciated how good a cook my mother was , she did it for my father but when he passed, she hung up her apron and was happy to eat fast foods!  

Trusted Contributor

MMMM fall/winter comfort food.

My Mom was an excellent cook and made outstanding soups, stews, chilis, kugels etc. I especially loved her golumpkis and I loved her kidney stew with mashed potatoes. Oh and her cheese stuffed meatloaf. 

Esteemed Contributor

My Mom was a great cook but baking was not her thing.  She did make a wonderful chocolate cake w/PB frosting and her chocolate chip cookies were great.  At Christmas she stored her cookies in Charles Chip cans (cleaned out, of course).

I am a better baker than my Mom was. She said my pies were better.