Honored Contributor

Re: What was your grocery price increase shock from your last trip?

@geezerette wrote:

Technically not a grocery product, but night light bulbs.

I used to buy a pack for five for just under one dollar.

Today they were almost $5.

Geez, I may start leaving my guest bath in the dark.

@geezerette 

Check your local dollar store.  At mine, they are still a buck.

Respected Contributor

$8.49 for a ½ gallon of Blue Bell Cookies'N'Cream Ice Cream.

Respected Contributor

Eggs are going up.  English muffins are sky high.  Meat of any sort is prohibitive.

I've gotta say this inflation is doing wonders for my Portion control!

With the extras I find myself asking  is it WORTH the money to me?  I DO love my extras.

Is a bag of chips Worth $7.00? 

Is the chocolate  REALLY that yummy, or the icecream the best Tasting around?

Sometimes Yes, Sometimes No.

I've started getting some veggies from the farmers market.  I'd rather spend my pennies locally.  Can't wait for summer and the REAL veggies to come in.

Valued Contributor

Food shopping is now a job. I compare a lot and settle for different brands. I bought bacon on sale this week for $4.99. Not bad but for 12 ounces? They still had some for a full pound but not for long. I buy marked down meats when they have it. I bought a steak for $3 and made beef stew with it. I change my menu while I shop. 

Respected Contributor

I haven't bought vegetable oil in a long time.  Last time I bought it was months and months ago when it was BOGO.  Starting to get low and it was $6.24!  For name and store brands.  Looked at other stores, same price.  In the past I could get it at Kroger on sale for 99 cents or BOGO at Publix for under $2.

Valued Contributor

18 count eggs $5.18 !

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Esteemed Contributor

Corn on the cob today June 4th was 33 cents each at Walmart. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@candys mine wrote:

Eggs are going up.  English muffins are sky high.  Meat of any sort is prohibitive.

I've gotta say this inflation is doing wonders for my Portion control!

With the extras I find myself asking  is it WORTH the money to me?  I DO love my extras.

Is a bag of chips Worth $7.00? 

Is the chocolate  REALLY that yummy, or the icecream the best Tasting around?

Sometimes Yes, Sometimes No.

I've started getting some veggies from the farmers market.  I'd rather spend my pennies locally.  Can't wait for summer and the REAL veggies to come in.

We don't really have farmers markets in the summer in Arizona. The fruits and veggies would rot in the heat. Today at Walmart I got corn on the cob for .33 each, English Muffins were 3.48, a bag of Walmart brand Lays equivalent was $2.25 and they taste no different than the name brand to us. Last week another store had Tillamook ice cream for $3.33 a container. Eggs were around 4.25 for 18.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

At some point the bottom will fall out and it's unsettling...recession follows inflation historically.

@SilleeMee 

I was listening to an interesting interview about inflation yesterday on NPR.   Recession HAS to happen after inflation to bring prices back down and stabilize markets.   That's a good thing, but economists don't seem to always explain it very well.

People can often view recession as a bad thing, but it's just a normal part of the economic cycles .... not much different than how our exhales follow our inhales.   Never heard it put that way before, but it makes sense.

Esteemed Contributor

Bought groceries today and the 'cheaper' brand of almost everything was sold out!  Store brand was almost non-existent!  

Yes, I bought the more expensive one, I needed the items.  Happy? no!