Esteemed Contributor

What to do with used oil from Butterball turkey fryer?

I just tried out my new Butterball turkey fryer tonight—and it actually turned out well! Now, I have no idea of how to dispose of the old oil. What kind of container do you put it in to throw away? I wonder if I could drain it in ziplock bags? What do you recommend! I truly stumped on this one....

Valued Contributor

Re: What to do with used oil from Butterball turkey fryer?

What did the oil come in? Milk carton, jars with lids???

Esteemed Contributor

1 gallon plastic jugs. I actually threw them in the garbage already (outside). Besides, I have almost 3 gallons of oil to dispose of....

Esteemed Contributor

Well.....I've never had 3 gallons to dispose of - - - but for bacon grease - guess it would work in your case too.  I freeze it - first in a bowl lined with aluminum foil - then on trash day I roll the foil up around the frozen grease and put it in a plastic bag and into the garbage can.   (reason for the plastic bag is in case your weather temperatures are warm to hot - should the grease melt, it won't run all over the inside of your garbage can)  That would be a bugger to clean = warm grease = big 'no'.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't use milk jugs - containers, etc., because our county (State) recycles everything - and I mean everything.  A fine would be the result of throwing out a milk container.

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt Interesting idea...but I don’t think I have that much room in my freezer (would require several very large bowls).  I appreciate the suggestion, however....

Respected Contributor

Some places have oil recycling events where you can take your used cooking oils & grease & they make it into bio-fuels to use in vehicles.  You might check with your local gov't & see if there's one in your area or maybe they can tell you how to dispose of it.  I think where I live, ours will be in Jan. after the holidays are over.

Honored Contributor

Call your local waste removal service and ask them how they'd recommend you dispose of it.  If there's a recycling service theyll know about it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

We no longer own that turkey fryer, but when we did I put all the left over oil through a fine mesh sieve, then put it in freezer bags and froze the leftovers.After it was frozen I used my foodsaver and sealed the baggie one more time. When I needed oil for frying, I would just take one out, let it thaw a bit, take out what I needed and refroze it.

Honored Contributor

If it is cold or cooler where you live store it in the container it came it in the garage & use it again for Christmas. You can use it more then once.

When we used peanut oil for frying we put it back in the container it came in & threw it in the trash.