Respected Contributor

Re: What to do on a rainy day ... make "stuffed cabbage" for the freezer

@homedecor1  Your stuffed cabbage looks delicious. When you have time would you please post your recipe? Thank you 😊 

Esteemed Contributor

@Leggett28   I am with you.  @homedecor1 Please post your recipe.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

I would be happy to come and make them for you to enjoy now and later🙂🙂🙂

When I go home (which is soon🤞🏻) my cousins and I spend the day cooking favorites from these to homemade raviolis, gnocchi and sauce.

I bought a foodsaver -- I'm loving it -- I am vacumn sealing everything😳😉

Yes, I made stuffed peppers with green peppers.  Sometimes I cut them in 1/2 stuff and pour marinara sauce with cheese over them. Bake -- delicious but not as good as the "traditional" way🙂

Honored Contributor

@Dinaki 

Up north my next door neighbors were Greek and boy, the wonderful food they shared was wonderful.  I can't tell you all the correct names but my fav was like a spinach pie, filled fig leaves,baklava and other good treats.  I don't like lamb although most of the recipes she made had lamb.

They lived from May-March in Greece.  They had a beautiful home there they always invited us to join them -- never did as my kids were too young. 

Thanks for sharing your recipe(s) I'm sure someone here will tackle it🙂

Honored Contributor

@Leggett28 

yes it's very easy -- for me the hardest part is the tuck & roll of the leaves😉

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 I thank you for liking anything in the Greek cuisine, that is correct, lamb is our meat of choice and I am noticing that in the super markets here, lamb is expensive.

Any how, you too have a country that is like a paradize, so much to do here, so many places to visit.

All of the Americans I have met here are indeed lovely people, I am proud to be in this land of oportunity.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

@Dinaki 

And I am glad to meet you here🙂

Many of us share our love for cooking, baking, home and more!!!

There are wonderful people on these boards who are "friends" although I've never had the pleasure of meeting them personally.  Wouldn't that be one fun time!!!

Yes, meats are expensive here I love veal but can't find it unless at butcher.  The major food store meat mgr told me they don't sell it (or lamb) because too expensive and most wont pay that much🤷‍♀️

Esteemed Contributor

Your stuffed cabbage rolls look delicious @homedecor1 .  That is one of my favorite meals!

Super Contributor

homedecor, since you said your spouse doesn't like them, could you please send them up to NW NJ to me?  I grew up eating stuffed cabbage, I am of full Hungarian heritage, and I love them.  Do you bake or cook on top of stove.  We do it on top of stove in a tomato based sauce, tomato soup and tomato sauce combo.  I do make them but not as good as my Mom did.  She had that special touch.  

Honored Contributor

@cookie16 

I grew up in NJ my mother was hungarian and polish.  Stuffed cabbage was a weekly meal and my mom's mother rolled them perfectly!

Hey, I'll be happy to even deliver I'm dying to get home to NJ.  I'm having the "countdown" hope it's not the countdown to flight cancellation😢😢😢😢.

I cook them stovetop (not sweet style) with 1/2 large can of tomato sauce mixed with 1/2 can of tomato purée.  I reserve the cabbage water and add 1 -2 cans of it.  I add one can of sauerkraut.  Simmer on low for a 1.5 hours (Of course, cabbage cooked already makes them nice & tender😋😋😋.

I cook in my large oval pot by Rachael Ray or a 8 qt. oval dutch oven by Staub.  

The house smells so good but spouse complains...oh well🙄🤷‍♀️