Esteemed Contributor

Re: What to do on a rainy day ... make "stuffed cabbage" for the freezer

@homedecor1  Thank you so much for posting your recipe.  Once the weather cools down, I will definitely be making it.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

.32/lb?  I worked it and worked it.  A cabbage that weighed one third of a pound?  A cabbage that weighed 32 pounds?  Oh.  The cost is 32 cents a lb.  Now for the second question, I've never seen sauerkraut included with stuffed cabbage, only a meat and tomato sauce mixture.  

Respected Contributor

I can't believe there is no mention of "Unstuffed Cabbage" or "Cabbage Roll Casserole". 

Is it a sin for those of us not skilled at wrapping cabbage leaves??  I realize it's not authentic, but the taste is the same and much easier.

Denise
Honored Contributor

@depglass 

I paid 32 cents a pound...not sure what you're trying to figure out🤷‍♀️

Maybe I typed it incorrectly.

My family always made it with sauerkraut therefore, that's what I learned ...

everyone has different variations of recipes...

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 You inspired me and I am lazy!  I made unstuffed cabbage today!  And I didn't use a recipe.

I browned (not until crispy brown) a pound of hamburger and a medium sized onion.  I added almost a cup of white rice and browned that a little.

I saved the outside leaves of a medium head of cabbage and chopped coarsely about 3/4 of the inside.  I mixed about half of the chopped cabbage with the meat, and while adding:

garlic powder

celery salt

salt and pepper

a tiny dash of cayenne

a tiny dash of cinnamon

Greek oregano

I mixed it all together.  I pulled it aside and put the rest of the chopped cabbage on the bottom.  I then layered in the meat mix in 2 or 3 layers putting between them:

1 15 oz. can of whole peeled tomatoes (chopped in the can with scissors

1 small can of tomato sauce

1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, ending up with these on top of the meat mix.

I then added beef stock and a little water to bring it up just to the top of the stuff in the pot.  And I topped that with the saved big cabbage leaves.

It simmered on the stove gently and was done in about 40 minutes--maybe sooner.  It was so good!  None of the spices stood out, but did add flavor and the cayenne was just a tiny bit of heat that really made it sing!  It wasn't "hot".

I didn't measure the spices, just eyeballed it!  

THANKS to all who posted for inspiring me!  I made it in a 4 quart Le Creuset soup pot (the one with the rounded bottom) and it was perfect!  I cooked it with the lid on.  My pot was Caribbean color (for all the LC fans out there!  Woman Very Happy). My husband was delighted with it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner 

Its a rainy lazy day so would you mind sharing ...I'll be home all day clearing out my bathroom for my bathroom reno starting tomorrow.

Thank you recipe looks delicious and in my mind I can "smell" the wonderful cabbage scent🙂🙂🙂

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 I don't mind sharing at all because there is a LOT of it!  Husband is thrilled and is putting up the leftovers.

Come on over!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@homedecor1 I don't mind sharing at all because there is a LOT of it!  Husband is thrilled and is putting up the leftovers.

Come on over!  Woman Very Happy

@Sooner 

Getting my lock n lock containers ready🙂🙂😉

Now you inspired me to get a pack of stuffed cabbage out of freezer for dinner.  I just bought fresh baked rye bread...oh my, is it dinner yet???

Enjoy I know I will...hubby can have  scrambled eggs...lol

Super Contributor

While I love stuffed cabbage I don't enjoy the time it takes to make it. Hence I make "Unstuffed Cabbage" in my Instant Pot. Just as good and a fraction of the time for preparation.