Esteemed Contributor

Re: What the USDA thinks you might spend on groceries

I always find these studies interesting. I'm not sure of their math but I know that if I have my husband with me that I spend more than I ever did when I had my kids or grandkids with me.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Their numbers are just for food.  No soap or paper towels and such.

For me I think I am on the low side.  I buy very little at a traditional food store.  Just produce at this time of year.  Once you eliminate cans and all processed food your bill falls dramatically.  

produce can be some of the most expensive items in the grocery stores, especially this time of the year. i find it to be true when they say it is more expensive to eat healthy. meats also are getting quite expensive, even from sams club.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Cost per Calorie.

Produce, legumes, beans, starches are the cheapest foods around. 

And frozen produce knocks the cost down further.

Eating healthy is cheap & easy.

Honored Contributor

We think we spend about $400 to $450 per month at the grocery store.  That does not include paper products, which we buy in bulk.

It is meat, which we eat about twice a week and almost always buy on sale; chicken products mostly organic chicken; fish (USA raised salmon non farmed, USA canned tuna and salmon mostly); fresh fruits and veggies that are mostly organic on the ones on the 10 worst pesticide list; staples--we have a bread machine--like flour, pasta canned good etc.

Cooking from scratch saves us lots.  We use a lot of hamburger that either we or our known butcher grind and that is 90 percent lean, but almost all other beef we buy what is on sale.

We do buy and use lots of canned tomatoes, tuna, green beans and peas.  We use this for quick meals and think it is better than fast food.

Super Contributor

Since I retired I’ve been cooking almost every day. There are three of us here. It’s become a game to me to see how many meals I can get out of a twenty dollar bill. Usually about three dinners and three lunches. My DD and I don’t eat that much. I send the leftovers with her to work. She works with my sister so she has lunch too. Meals usually have some kind of protein and lots of vegetables. When I did work we went out a lot and it was expensive. The other morning I made waffles from scratch, there were six waffles. Yesterday I went to a breakfast place with some friends and I noticed the waffles on the menu were 7.99.   Almost 48.00 for six waffles.😳

Honored Contributor

You have got me thinking about this.  I have no idea of how much I spend.  I shop a mix of Trader Joe's, Metropolitan Market and Costco.  I love to cook and I am always trying new recipes.  I don't eat much meat but alot of fish.  I also eat out several times a week.  

Esteemed Contributor

Do any of these studies differentiate where people live?  That certainly makes sense to do so.  The cost of living varies widely, and I would think it also affects the price of food.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are a lot of good youtube videos online, women teaching how to budget, cook, and save.  If you are needing to do that, there is a lot of good, solid, advice, to be had on those videos.  Many younger women today, do not have grandmas to teach them these skills, but they are on youtube teaching all the time.  Great women!

I'm always learning new things from them.  Some will teach you about gardening and canning too.

Great topic, Sooner--thanks!!

PinkHeart

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many monthly food bills are more $ than $892.00, especially if someone  needs to be on  a special diabetic medical Physician's  written daily diet, and  they need to purchase fresh veggies with plenty of fresh chicken and fish served either boiled, baked, or broiled...... but never pand fried. or deep fried.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

DiAnne  I eat fresh fish too but am very mindful of the mercury in all fish as well as pollutants from many leaking nuclear plants that continue to leak into our oceans, so perhaps nothing from the sea is really healthy in view of that.

That also includes canned tuna fish, shrimps, crabs, mussells, etc.

Also with acid rain falling from the sky the grass fed animals worldwide are also full of pollutants and other contaminants  unless they are born, fed, and kept indoors, and not allowed to go outside at all.  

Let us not forget all the pollutants and chemicals are still bouncing back to the earth from the WTC terrorist attack of the terrorist planes which intentionally killed thousands and totally destroyed the NYC WTC Twin Towers.

BTW the ozone layer sends the sun's rays back, and the ozone layer is still full of  holes in Chile which allow the blinding sun rays to come thru and blind people and animals there as well as also causing very hot temperatures which make it almost impossible to breathe in clean unpolluted air.

Photographs are available on the internet for those horrific disasters.

P.S. Below is the worse Japanese Nuclear Plant leak which still continued to present date...and the photographs of the deformed dead fish that wash up on shores worldwide are truly sickening to look at let alone to eat, no matter how much or how little radiation is still active in the oceans worldwide.

Please be patient when you click on link below as it is a bit slow to load the information every consumer should read....

Fukushima Nuclear Plant's Treated Water Is Still Radioactive | The ...
Oct 1, 2018 - Fukushima Nuclear Plant Water Still Too Radioactive for Release ... Fukushima's Tokyo Electric Power Co. and the Japanese government said all ... with large amounts of contaminated water leaking from the wrecked reactor