Honored Contributor

Re: What's your go-to recipe when the family (or you) needs a quick dessert?

My family and friends love Banana Split Cake. It's a no bake recipe that can be made ahead of time and you can store the cake the freezer until it's needed.

I have never had any leftovers when I take this to a get together.

I use a large cake pan 9x13 when serving a crowd and use two 8x8 or 9x9 pans when I need a small amount.

Banana Split Cake

1st Layer

2 cups of graham cracker crumbs and 1/2 cup melted margarine or butter pressed into the bottom of the pan

2nd Layer

2 cups of powdered sugar

2 sticks of margarine or butter softened. Do not use margarine from a tub.

2 eggs or egg substitute equivalent

2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

Beat this for a full 5 minutes with electric mixer (important) Spread mixture on top of pressed graham cracker crumbs.

3rd Layer

2 cups of canned crushed pinapple drained. Do not use the juice for the cake.

4th Layer

4 ripe bananas sliced

5th Layer

Optional....sliced strawberries, You can also use any other fruits you like.

I also drizzle some Hershey's chocolate syrup over the fruit. You can use butterscotch, etc or no syrup at all.

6th Layer

1 large container of Cool Whip

Decorate with crushed peanuts (or your favorite nuts) if you like and cherries

Store in the refrigerator for a few hours for immediate use or in the freezer to eat another day.

This cake can be customized to your tastes or food allergies. The 2nd layer really tastes like ice cream. Make sure pinapple, bananas, etc. is nicely layered over the" ice cream" mixture so there are no "bald spots."

Valued Contributor

This is good!!

MUD PIE

1 large pkg Hydrox cookies, crushed (or Oreos)

1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream

1 hot fudge topping (can)

1 cube butter

Spanish peanuts

1 tub Cool Whip

Melt 1 cube butter.

Crush 1 package cookies and mix with butter.

Put in bottom of a 9 x 13-inch dish.

Next, layer ice cream; let set in freezer for awhile.

Next, smear on the hot fudge, then nuts, and last - Cool Whip. Too good!

Honored Contributor

Jello brand cheesecake. I always keep a can of pie filling (cherry or blueberry) on hand. Takes less than 5-10 minutes!

Super Contributor

Breyer's All Natural strawberry ice cream. If I'm feeling fancy and have any in the house, I'll top it with fresh strawberries, too.

Honored Contributor

Peanut butter chews, brownies, cheesecake from a box mix, or chocolate pudding mixed with cool whip.

Honored Contributor

Crazy chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. Family loves it and the cake is very moist.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

A box of brownies with walnuts. Love brownies & so fast & easy to make.

Trusted Contributor

Pineapple Angel Food Cake -- 2 ingredients!

Instruction:

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2.In a large bowl, combine crushed pineapple including the juice and angel food cake. Pour into an ungreased 9x13 pan.

3.Bake 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched, do not over bake.

4.Top with whipped topping if desired.

I use Betty Crocker cake mix, 1 bag inside the box. I also spray my dish with Pam for baking.

Super Contributor

My family loves my peach cobbler. It's quick and easy. Sometimes whip up a rice pudding.

Honored Contributor

On 5/20/2014 KYToby said:

I usually have frozen cake layers and frozen buttercream in the freezer, so I can put together and quickly decorate a cake in a few hours (or make a fresh batch of frosting, decorate the frozen layers, and have a cake in half an hour). I also usually have balls of several types of cookie dough in the freezer that can go straight in the oven.

One easy one I like to put together sometimes, though, is a refrigerator pie. Simply beat a softened block of cream cheese, add a touch of vanilla, a can of sweetened ,condensed milk, and 1/2 cup of lemon or lime juice (or a combination). I also like to add a bit of zest, too. Dump all in a graham cracker pie shell (storebought is fine) and chill for an hour. It is a quick, easy alternative to Key Lime or lemon meringue pie.

I made this today. I made a top layer of blueberry pie filling. I didn't think it was set up enough to eat, but my husband ate a hunk of it and said it's great. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow. Thank you for the recipe {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

~ house cat ~