Honored Contributor

Re: What's your food presentation style?

I've never quite gotten the "stacked" presentations popular with some chefs.  One bite and the whole illusion is destroyed.  I do the same thing my mother did, a protein, a carb, and a vegetable laid out evenly on a plate.

Honored Contributor

I prefer the simple, although, the highly styled is fun to look at.

Fondant, so popular for making those cake embellishments doesn't taste good at all IMO.  If I'm going to eat something my choice will be full flavor not bland and high calorie.

I also do not like the tendency in past years of chefs "stacking" food on a plate.  I don't put several things on a fork when I eat and I don't want things mixed.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I've never quite gotten the "stacked" presentations popular with some chefs.  One bite and the whole illusion is destroyed.  I do the same thing my mother did, a protein, a carb, and a vegetable laid out evenly on a plate.

@depglass,It's an attempt to create visual appeal.

It's a "stage" just like fashion has.  It will cycle out (hopefully!).

Esteemed Contributor

I want my food to look pretty on the plate, but I don't want them touching!  

When I serve a salad or cooked vegetable, it is served in a separate dish.  Don't put runny green beans next to my mashed potatoes...even though I cook and eat these 2 together.  That's a different presentation.

Respected Contributor

@Beansey wrote:

@Perkup Ina would love you. I think she always uses white dinner plates. Also she uses very simple glasses but gorgeous flower center pieces. 

I hadn't thought of that, but I do usually have a floral (or seasonal) centerpiece.  It's just my personal taste, but thanks.

Honored Contributor

I probably spent hours creating the best possible dish, so just shuddup and eat it - no worrying about the presentation.   Smiley Happy

But then, I don't entertain anymore anyway so I either just cook for us or just for me.   

I've never done any kind of overtly over-done presentation, though, I'm sure.  I like comfortable and classy.  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

When my children were young I spent a lot of time trying to make things look as appetizing (fancy??) as possible to appeal to them.  Lately, however, I do not spend much time on presentation. When they are here these days they really enjoy Mom's cooking - to heck with the presentation.

The one "must do" for me is that I much prefer to serve all food on white dishes.  To me, designs on dishware tend to detract from the appeal of the food itself.  I have a few holiday serving pieces with designs,  but I don't use them for actual place settings.

For the first 43 years of our marriage we ate off of white dinnerware.  Then last summer I boxed 'em up and ordered two sets of 8 placing settings of Temptation's Old World cranberry.  I've gotten lots of compliments, and must admit I like the smaller size dinner plates- makes less food look like a big plenty.   I have had to change up my collection of cloth napkins/ dinning trays.

I prefer my food to look like food.  The one exception is decorated sugar cookies.  (And I don't get too creative with them.)

Honored Contributor

I am all about presentation and garnishes.  Just a little bit of effort elevates the dish.  

I do not use patterned dishes.  I think food looks best against solid colors.  Food pops the best against dark colors.  

Honored Contributor

I probably should have been more clear.  

I enjoy presenting food in as appealing a way as possible.  I guess I just think homey and rustic is more appealing than fancy-schmancy.

I also use white dinnerware, primarily. I recently added a set of white plates with a simple teal border to jazz things up a little bit.  

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Simply delicious,

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/halloween-cheesecake-brownies-57567.aspx