Frequent Contributor

What's your favorite thing to cook in the Ninja?

I slow cooked a roast and it came out great, but I just tried to cook ribs in it and they were boiled, not cooked correctly. Can you tell me what you like to cook in yours? I have the book but need your firsthand experience.

Contributor

Re: What's your favorite thing to cook in the Ninja?

Mayflowers, just thinking out loud here. Did you have your ribs up on rack so they weren't sitting in the liquid in bottom of Ninja? If not, that would be the reason. I have not tried ribs yet but know they are to be on rack. The few things I have made, I really like the Ninja 3 in one.
Respected Contributor

So far, I made carrot cake using the steam bake feature and it was fabulous! Yes, you can cut any oil or fat used by half!

I tried roast using the slow cooker function and it was ridiculously tough. It hit me that a major cause of that is that the lid is vented so moisture is lost.

I have made the Chicken Provence-and it was wonderful-but that technique alone gives some of the most tender, moist and delicious chicken I've ever had. The Ninja is also fabulous with fish.

Poodlepet

Valued Contributor

I make ribs all the time. They come out great but I use a dry rub. No liquid or sauces added. I don't use the rack. I just put them in the vessel. My favorite thing to cook in mine is home made stuffing. I stir it occasionally and it gets yummy crispy parts. I've also made Chex Mix. It came out great.
Frequent Contributor

I made David's recipe for "Tamale Pie", and it came out very well. Having used the slow cooker function (on high), for roast beef didn't turn out so well. I think that the "high" setting is much higher than the temperature setting on my regular slow cooker, and it overcooked in the same amount of time as I regularly do it.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm confused about how to really use it, especially the oven function. I've read lots of people said everything burns on oven function so I thought I needed to add liquid on when baking. I wish I could see more demos.

Respected Contributor

I block the vent with rolled paper towel. It helps prevent the steam from escaping with using the slower cooker/oven setting.

Valued Contributor

On 3/3/2014 Mayflowers said:

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm confused about how to really use it, especially the oven function. I've read lots of people said everything burns on oven function so I thought I needed to add liquid on when baking. I wish I could see more demos.

When I make ribs I use it as at a slow cooker. I do use the oven setting for stuffing and Chex mix.
Frequent Contributor

Good to know for next time. What's your favorite thing to make in the cooker?

Contributor

Mayflower, there is a facebook page, created by a Ninja owner. Many people belong, have good tips, a ton of recipes, pictures of food cooked in the Ninja. I think it is called Ninja 3 in 1 cooking system. I'm sure you can find it through facebook search. They are friendly and pretty much focus on sharing pictures, tips, recipes.