Respected Contributor

Re: What's your favorite pie?

On 3/15/2015 missy1 said:
On 3/14/2015 lovesrecess said:

chess pie....lemon or coconut

I thought I was the only one that has heard of chess pie. I like custard pies and peach pie.

Why do they call it that? Is it the ""king"" of pies that you can only have ""pieces"" of at ""knight"" when your'e ""board""? te hee

Respected Contributor

Blueberry.

Frequent Contributor

Chocolate peanut butter pie!

Honored Contributor

Key lime from a restaurant. My grandmother was a big baker when we were younger, she's gone now. My mother didn't bake, so baking ended with my grandmother.
Valued Contributor

Oh I love pie. In fact, I absolutely prefer pie over cake -- any day! My hands down favorite is Blackberry pie warmed up with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. My second favorite is my Grandmother's "Dark and Spicy Pumpkin Pie."
Honored Contributor

Cherry - Always a favorite. I loved my mom's hand made crust and filling. I have never found one as good as hers.
Esteemed Contributor

I never found a pie I didn't luv!!!

Frequent Contributor

On 3/15/2015 Epicurean said:
On 3/14/2015 RacerGirl said:

1. Grape with a crumb topping -- double crusted pies are not something I'm a big fan of.

2. Apple with crumb topping

3. Chocolate silk

My mother-in-law has a special talent for making the most amazing pies. It doesn't matter the flavor or if it's something that was dreamed up with what was on hand at the time, her pies are always delicious. Every special gathering isn't complete until her pie baskets are unloaded and the selection is presented for dessert.

If I may ask, just what is a grape pie. What's in it???? TIA for your answer.

Grape Pies are a tradition in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate NY, which is a big grape and wine producing area. There are grape festivals and event grape pie contests with all types of grape related baked goodies to be found.

http://www.naplesgrapefest.org/html/grapepie.html

This is one recipe I found online:

GRAPE PIE

Even though they may be perfectly willing to share their recipes, the bakers of Naples have trouble letting outsiders in on the secret of the perfect pie because they never bake just one: they prepare pies in quantity. After much consideration, Irene Bouchard worked out the following for me:

5 1/2 cups Concord grapes, washed
about 1 cup sugar, depending on the sweetness of the grapes
1 tablespoon tapioca
Pastry for a 9-inch pie

Pop the skins off the grapes by pinching them at the end opposite the stem; set them aside. Put the pulp (without water) into a heavy pan, bring it to a boil, and let it boil 5 to 6 minutes. Put it through a colander or food mill to remove the seeds. Pour the hot pulp over the skins and let the mixture sit for 5 hours. ("This colors the pulp and makes it pretty.") Add the sugar and tapioca, then pour the mixture into the pie crust and dot with butter. Put on the top crust. (Irene uses a "floating" top crust—a circle of dough slightly smaller than the top of the pie—because it is easier than crimping top and bottom together and it also makes a pretty purple ring around the edge.) Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Lower the temperature to 350 degrees and cook 20 minutes more until the crust is browned and the juice begins to bubble up.

Honored Contributor

On 3/15/2015 Ladybug724 said:
On 3/15/2015 missy1 said:
On 3/14/2015 lovesrecess said:

chess pie....lemon or coconut

I thought I was the only one that has heard of chess pie. I like custard pies and peach pie.

Why do they call it that? Is it the "king" of pies that you can only have "pieces" of at "knight" when your'e "board"? te hee

lol. It's sorda a custard pie with lots off eggs. Really rich, and a generational recipe.

Lemon Chess Pie.jpg (420×420)

Respected Contributor

Pecan, lemon meringue and apple pie are my favs.