Contributor

What's your favorite home-made or handed down cornbread recipe?

I just love home-made and handed down vintage recipe's. There are so many variations with cornbread Smiley Happy What's your favorite tried, true, and go to cornbread recipe? Or do you have a favorite boxed mix?

Respected Contributor

Re: What's your favorite home-made or handed down cornbread recipe?

I don't have a homemade one. I always use Bob's Red Mill and I think it's delicious! They also make a gluten free version that is great, too.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Occasional Contributor

I always use two boxes of the Jiffy corn muffin mix. I follow the directions on the box but I add one can of creamed corn to the two boxes. My family loves it.

Super Contributor

Back in my purist days, I only used stoneground cornmeal from Longfellow's Wayside Inn in Sudbury, MA. My wonky mixer sure took a beating w/ the dense batter, but it was yummy.

Nowadays, I just use 2 boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, pour it into a buttered cast iron skillet & bake. Serve w/ lots of honey-butter. Delicious! Coincidentally, I just pulled some out of the oven.

Esteemed Contributor

My dh loves Jiffy. How long do you bake when you do two boxes at once? I've often thought of doing that but didn't know how long to bake it. TIA

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

On 2/14/2014 twopeas said:

My dh loves Jiffy. How long do you bake when you do two boxes at once? I've often thought of doing that but didn't know how long to bake it. TIA

twopeas, the instructions are on the side of the box, under 'Johnnycake'. You just make 2 boxes (add 2/3 Cup milk & 2 eggs, I think). I pour it into a 10 inch buttered cast iron skillet, & bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Wonderful!

Soften a stick of butter & add lots of honey & stir, & serve that w/ the cornbread. It's yummy!

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/14/2014 Sabatini2 said:
On 2/14/2014 twopeas said:

twopeas, the instructions are on the side of the box, under 'Johnnycake'. You just make 2 boxes (add 2/3 Cup milk & 2 eggs, I think). I pour it into a 10 inch buttered cast iron skillet, & bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Wonderful!

Soften a stick of butter & add lots of honey & stir, & serve that w/ the cornbread. It's yummy!

Thank you, Sabatini. It sounds as though you just bake it for the same amount of time as you do a single batch. I just made some the other night to go w/ chili and thought how nice it would be if you could bake two boxes at once ~ and it sounds like you can. That's great.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

I make my own. The recipe that I use calls for maple syrup, which gives it a bit of a sweeter taste, but it's still quite good. Great with chili and with soup and stew, too.

Respected Contributor

We found a recipe on a bag of Indian Head Corn Meal. It is absolutely wonderful.

Super Contributor

These are my tried and true cornbread recipes.

Mom's is from 1940's or 50's.

I found the second one on-line. Both are very good. Homesteader's is moister. I also half the recipe and use less sugar.

Homesteader Cornbread

Servers: 15

Original Recipe Yield 1 (9×13 inch pan)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups cornmeal

2 1/2 cups milk

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup white sugar

2 eggs

1/2 cup vegetable oil

Directions:

1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and milk; let stand for 5 minutes. Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.

2.In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix in the cornmeal mixture, eggs and oil until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.

3.Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mom's Cornbread

1 cup cornmeal

1 cup flour

1 Tbsp. baking powder

1/2 Tbsp. sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup milk or buttermilk

2 eggs

1 Tbsp. oil

350 oven. Prepare your cast iron skillet with 3 Tbsp. butterand melt it in the preheatingoven while you make your batter.Or grease your baking pan.

Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just untilwet.Pour batter into hot skillet with melted butter. Slightly swirl the melted butter around in the batter with a butter knife. Bake 25 to 30 minutes @ 350.

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~