Respected Contributor

Re: What's your favorite fish to buy at the store?

Shellfish: shrimp, Maine lobster, scallops, king crab

Otherwise, I like flounder, sea bass and tilapia (don't shoot me!)

I would sell my soul to get some of the MI lake (yellow) perch I had as a kid...

Not crazy about salmon in any form or tuna steaks (although I love canned tuna).

Denise
Super Contributor

I love any fish or seafood especially shrimp, scallops, and any shellfish... but for fish I'm particularly fond of salmon. When my market carries them I also enjoy a whole rainbow trout, just put some lemon slices and herbs inside the cavity and broil it for about 10 minutes in the oven, comes out wonderful. I like to bake cod and tilapia with a sauce that uses cream of shrimp soup. I enjoy a grilled swordfish steak or ahi tuna steak but those are currently pretty pricey in my market. The only fish I can say I don't like is canned tuna, reminds me of cat food.

Trusted Contributor

I don't eat much fish. If I do it has to be a mild white Fish. can you recommend some please? I tasted some Tilapia frozen with Pesto at Costco and I got to sample. When I said I liked it the Woman giving out a sample nearby said that is a cheap nasty fish. I also like Shrimp. I would like some easy recipes as well. Thanks Katey...

Honored Contributor

Thank you all.

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 Katey1261 said:

I don't eat much fish. If I do it has to be a mild white Fish. can you recommend some please? I tasted some Tilapia frozen with Pesto at Costco and I got to sample. When I said I liked it the Woman giving out a sample nearby said that is a cheap nasty fish. I also like Shrimp. I would like some easy recipes as well. Thanks Katey...

Katey, if you like mild white fish, your best choices would be cod, haddock, or sole...but sole can be quite expensive. Tilapia isn't a "cheap nasty fish" but it is rather bland. It doesn't have much flavor, so it's best with some seasoning or sauce to compliment it. My preference would be Cod, it's a firm but flaky fish with nice mild flavor, and you can prepare it so many different ways. It's perfect battered and fried for fish & chips, or sauteed, and it does really great being baked. As I mentioned, I use cream of shrimp soup to make a sauce. I usually add some dill or terragon or a little bit of fresh herbs. Chop up some green onions/scallions, add a little lemon juice to dilute the soup and make it more saucy, ground pepper (perfect with some red pepper flakes or hot sauce if you like a little flavor heat). I put the cod in a shallow baking dish, cover with the sauce, sprinkle with some bread crumbs and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until the sauce is bubbling. It's delicious, quick and makes a simple healthy meal. You could also prepare Haddock the same way. Experiment with your fish, it's hard to go wrong. Smile

Honored Contributor

I love salmon. When I prepare it I add a marinade of 1 tbsp. each of olive oil, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce and hickory syrup and brush it on both sides of the salmon. I allow it to sit for about ten minutes before cooking. I add sliced almonds to the top while cooking. Delicious!

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Valued Contributor

Salmon. And swordfish for the grill in the summer. Although, swordfish isn't the best to eat (extremely high mercury levels, and the EPA advises against eating on a regular basis).