Trusted Contributor

Re: What's your favorite fish to buy at the store?

I love seafood. I like Brook Trout, cod -- fresh and dried, salmon (not farmed and must be from US). I used to buy whole Bass and Talapia and clean them myself. Too many fish are not what they say they are and are farmed and/or from China. I was spoiled by living in Seattle where seafood can be purchased whole and you can see what you get and how fresh they are.

Respected Contributor

every Friday night the kin folk get together for a redneck surfnturf, fish sticks and hot dawgs{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

okay, seriously I like the cod from Costco

Respected Contributor

Salmon with either a baked potato or rice, and sauteed chard or spinach. I like halibut too. I only buy wild caught fish, and I like to.know where it was caught. The co op where I shop tells you that.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Trusted Contributor

I really like this thread. I need to start eating more Fish.

Respected Contributor

On 3/6/2015 rac71 said:
On 3/5/2015 ValuSkr said:

I like salmon but don't often buy it. Just wondering, why do people prefer wild caught over farm raised?

Wild-caught has better flavor and more nutritional benefits. Farm-raised salmon has a poorer diet which means not as healthful for people. Farm-raised is usually color-enhanced; wild-caught's rich color is from the healthful diet and lifestyle.

Any farmed I've seen is pretty dull in color, and I've tried it, it seems mushy.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Scallops and shrimp, which I can make into a seafood alfredo dish.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/5/2015 Lori K said: For those of you that buy Tilapia you should do some research. It was one of my favorite fish until I found out how bad it is for you, worse than bacon. Just google it!

I did Google it, and found that a concern was farmed tilapia from China, the safety of which is now much improved. Most of what I read said that tilapia can be a healthy part of a varied diet. Some of the recent "scare info" about tilapia was discredited.

Valued Contributor

On 3/5/2015 debc said:
On 3/5/2015 Lori K said: For those of you that buy Tilapia you should do some research. It was one of my favorite fish until I found out how bad it is for you, worse than bacon. Just google it!

You can research fish to death, most of it has something they claim is bad for you if you look hard enough.

Life will kill you, it's a fact. Be afraid.

Been enjoying Tilapia for many years, still around to tell it...lol.

I also LOVE grouper!!

Super Contributor

Lent is a great time to get a good variety of fresh fish. Sockeye salmon, the Norwegian salmon has been good. I don't like to buy salmon in the summer .

Tried Dover Sole but doesn't have much flavor.

Oysters on the 1/2 shell and Fish&Chips with a big filet of haddock :-) at a restauramt

Shrimp, but only wildcaught of Gulf shrimp, the Asian shrimp are farmed in horrible conditions.

Locally caught Sea scallops when they are dry, not brined in the translucent liquid preservative. Not crazy about bay scallops but will eat them.

Blowfish - oh they are out of this world! . The ones I have had may only be local to the Northeast as they live in the more protected bays. They aren't the West Coast or sushi grade type.

Honored Contributor

I do love sardines too! Hubby isn't fond of them but I LOVE the ones in mustard especially! I have found a brand or two NOT packed in Asia, so I get those. I love smoked oysters as well, but haven't found any not packed in Asia recently. {#emotions_dlg.crying}