Honored Contributor

Re: What's with the paper plate prices?

@millieshops 

I went into retail after I retired from teaching, not wanting to stay home.  Since I have been in retail, a major nation wide shift came when insurance changed.

Companies said "We can get away with only paying a few employees insurance and run a part time crew with no insurance.".  They pay manager's insurance and keep the other employees hours LOW so they don't qualify.

Companies made money off of the deal, their insurance bill shrank with about 25% of their work force eligible  insurance with full time hours.

The norm now for women that need to work because of divorce or  spouse lost to death, is working 2 jobs.  A friend of mine stocks groceries after her regular job where she can't get hours.

Students that don't prepare for a career are going to find it harder than ever to be self sufficient.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up everyone.

I will be stingy with the supplies I have.

One thing for sure, when I host the neighborhood party, bring your OWN plates and utensils will be on the list as well as your own beverages!

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass I wouldn't be buying any paper products from the $$$ store.  They had inventory issues recently with their storage facilities over run with vermin.  Just the thought of it makes me ill.  But do what you gotta.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I also heard that story on TV and followed up on the internet.  I rarely shop dollar stores, and that particular one was the lowest one on our local list for other reasons.  DH has his motorcycle buddies up to the cottage for a few days each summer.  (Visualize old retired guys, not Hell's Angels)   Since I am chief cook and bottle washer I rely on paper plates for these guys as much as possible.  Maybe I'll just use the Corelle this year instead.

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass - Due to the rising prices and frequent lack of availability of the specific brands and packages I want, for the past two years, I've been buying paper plates in various sizes, Kleenex, and toilet paper from Target.com. Their prices are great, and when all these things ship together, you know nothing will arrive damaged—with the extra "padding," I sometimes add a small store-brand food item into the mix as well.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Thanks, I'll check.  I did buy a vacuum from them online at the advice of a poster and the process was simple.  

Frequent Contributor

ALDI if they are in your area have decent paper plates at a reasonable price.  I also agree with Corelle here I come!

Trusted Contributor

@cindyNC This has happened to me recently too. The orders that came in the grey plastic Walmart bag were sent directly from my local Walmart and were delivered by a Walmart employee during one of their local deliveries (I believe it was included in a route delivery for Walmart plus members, I don't belong to Walmart plus). The "bagged" items usually arrive within a day of when I order. 

My "shipped" items arrive in boxes, sometimes in multiple boxes depending on where each item is shipped from. (and some items are shipped direct from a vendor, not from Walmart's warehouse)

I always order at least $35 from Walmart.com so that I don't have to pay for shipping. I select "shipping" as my choice (rather than "pick-up" or "Delivery", which I thought was for Walmart plus customers only), but it looks like they will deliver direct to my home at their discretion. Honestly, it is probably less expensive for them to "grey bag" the items if they have the items in my local store and they are already delivering to someone in my area.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I've gone all winter without the larger design printed 10" paper plates, not the fluted ones that won't hold any weight.  Now it's summer and our markets still don't stock these.  So I go to  Amazon and these things are 35.00 a package, 16 cents a piece.  Does anyone know a cheaper source?  

@depglass - if you have a Big Lots in your area, look at their paper plates. Their seasonal paper plates, 10" are the only kind I buy.  Right now, they're on sale for $2.60 for 24 plates (I just looked at their website), so 10 cents each. Head to the seasonal section as they are separate from the regular paper products. And they're a great weight. They're substantial, not flimsy. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@ECBG   Yes, the job world has changed so much and so much faster than some had anticipated.   I do remember that when I retired from teaching more than 20 years ago, one of the reasons I felt stressed was that I had no real idea what the job world would be for my students. 

Some were already high school seniors -  one of the topics I saw in their free writing work was often about their own anxiety about was coming next.  That was particularly true for those who were not definitely headed to college;  I believe that vulnerability would be even greater in today's world.