Honored Contributor

What's with the paper plate prices?

I've gone all winter without the larger design printed 10" paper plates, not the fluted ones that won't hold any weight.  Now it's summer and our markets still don't stock these.  So I go to  Amazon and these things are 35.00 a package, 16 cents a piece.  Does anyone know a cheaper source?  

Respected Contributor

Re: What's with the paper plate prices?

I'm astounded by the price of paper goods, Plates, PT and TP. I get the family size of TP and PT at Wegman's and the prices have gone up about $6.00 for each. Even with their clip coupons it's still pricier than what I used to pay. This started back during the shortages. Plates, too, have gone up that much. The blame game was the pandemic and now, I guess the shipping costs. Want to bet, if things ever get back to normal, the prices will still stay that high.

Honored Contributor

@depglass Some years ago, I bought picnic plates at Costco -  light and very slim, but I washed them repeatedly over the many years I used them.  (No, they can't go into the dishwasher)

Respected Contributor

Have you checked the dollar store?

Honored Contributor

@depglass 

If you have a walmart, prices will likely be lower there.

Respected Contributor

Walmart........I placed an order several days ago and got free shipping.  The first package of dental floss and sugar free candy was delivered yesterday.  It was in a grey Walmart plastic bag knotted at the top.  The balance of my order came today in two separate packages. Made me laugh. 

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Have you checked the dollar store?

@ThinkingOutLoud     My $ store has gone up as much as 50%.....I wonder when they're gonna change the outdoor sign......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

Walmart........I placed an order several days ago and got free shipping.  The first package of dental floss and sugar free candy was delivered yesterday.  It was in a grey Walmart plastic bag knotted at the top.  The balance of my order came today in two separate packages. Made me laugh. 

@cindyNC 

I have had thae same thing happen with my orders.  The items are likely from different stores.

Honored Contributor

@catter70   Just this morning as I drove to visit my dentist, I listened to a economic analyst.  He would most likely tell you that you're right -  prices are unlikely to go down all that much overall even if we manage to bring down the hugh current demands for products which is not all that easy.  Solving the additional costs of workers and adding to the supply of workers needed looks more difficult to do.  

I know in Palm Beach County where I live, unemployment is below 3% -  and many of the jobs that are available wouldn't pay the rent on a one-bedroom apartment.  According to the analyst that's true in many parts of the country.

One aspect of the problem I hadn't realized is how much our population as a whole is reaching retirement age and many of us want to retire either full or part time.  Just one more thing working against lower prices.

Honored Contributor

@depglass @I was going to post about this. Thank you. The prices are insane. Prices for plastic cutlery are also dramatically high. I think that there are plenty of companies that are jacking up prices just because people are willing to pay more right now and not raising prices because of huge cost increases they have incurred.