Valued Contributor

Re: What's with Food Network these days

I really used to like Guy when he did Diners, Drive In's and Dives.  Don't like him as much since fame went to his head.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love all of the "Baking Championship" shows on Monday nights - Kids, Spring, Halloween, and Winter.  Did I miss any?  I also like the ones with the extravagent carving pumpkins (Halloween and Holiday Wars).

I kind of go back and forth with the other shows.  Sometimes I get into a new show, but more often not (fun cookie ones around Christmas, for example).  Used to watch Chopped, but it's been on a long time and it gets old.  I do occassionally catch Chopped Desserts because it's on after the Baking Championship show (although I don't like the chef that's the host).

I tried to watch the new iteration of Food Network Challenge with Ian Ziering and that was a TRAINWRECK!  I can't put my finger on what the difference was - I seem to recall the original was in front of an audience and the new version seemed very enclosed.  Ian and the judges were often very casually dressed - now, I don't need people to be "dressed up", but they looked downright sloppy!!  There's a line and they, IMO, crossed it.  Was a disappointment.

p.s.  I do kind of like Guy's Grocery Games, but I don't watch it every week.  

Respected Contributor

@10sluvr wrote:

i really dislike the kitchen impossible show, too. i would never go out to eat, if i believed everything i saw on it. too much of guy fieri, too. why do chefs need to be tatoo everywhere? ick.

I basically don't care for Robert Irvine. He was on Worst Cooks once and was a total jerk. I don't like how he treats people and I tried to watch Restaurant Impossible and turned the channel like five minutes into it because of his attitude.

Honored Contributor

I like the old days with Sarah Moulton and Emeril.  I actually learned something then.  Wonder what Sarah is up to now days?

Honored Contributor

@depglass   I hear Sara Moulton on the weekly Milk Street Radio podcast with Christopher Kimball.  She and Chris field questions from callers.  You can also listen on public radio.

Regular Contributor

I agree!   I still loved Chopped but all the other competition shows I just pass by.

Too much screaming and carrying on!

My least favorite is "Worst Cooks in America".  Can't stand it.

I think these shows are geared to the "younger" generation who, for some reason, need constant stimulation to remain interested.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't stand those contests. My husband detests them. It's all sweat and speed. That SHOULD NOT be what being a chef is all about. I watch DD&D sometimes but nothing else on the Food Network.